Differences between 65 & 68 289 engine?

OK, i guess the rebuilt engine that was put in my car is a 289 out of a 68. my question is was there any differences between it and the 65 motor? compression ratio, type of heads, anything? i noticed the hp rating was 5 less from factory but thats just for a 2bbl setup. what i was hoping for was to hear i have screw in studs or something like that. anyway, any info would be appreciated! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

84convertablegt said:
...what i was hoping for was to hear i have screw in studs or something like that. anyway, any info would be appreciated! :nice:

The screw in studs were only factory in the K-Code motors. The 289's were only offered in base trim, high performance engines in '68 were focused on the bigger displacement blocks.

Have a look on the block and the heads (remove the rocker covers) and post the casting codes (cast-in numbers). Someone here will be able to decode them for you.

Bellhousing Bolt Pattern!

The one major difference I can think of would be that the early 1965 engines have a 5 bolt bellhousing pattern. Then after about mid 65 they changed to the more common 6 bolt Bellhousing pattern. Of course this has nothing to do with performance. But I would recommend staying away from the 5 bolt pattern it is less common. :canada: