dimmer switch maybe?? - odd problem.

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
my instrumentation lights went out. i tried the dimmer switch. it will turn the interior dome lamp on and off but the instrument lights and the lights on the ac and vents won't work. i checked all the fuses and all my lights, turn signals, brake lights etc work just fine. could the dimmer switch be bad but still work the dome lamp? it kinds clicks into position when you turn it all the way to the right to turn the dome lamp on.

• Sponsors (?)

yep, i know exactly what you are talking about. i usually keep it set there. it won't work at all. i guess the contacts that touch when you rollt he switch to either side could be kaput. wierd.

You can roll it up and down repeatedly to try and clean it out, but I agree that the dimmer sounds like it took a poo. The dome light part is separate than the dimming of the instrument lights.

Good luck.

Make sure you check your fuses. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why my instrument lights went out. Took out the cluster, and cleaned to contacts, not it. Took out the dimmer switch, and put in new, not it. Ended up being a fuse that I had checked many many times but appeared to be good but it was bad. Long story short, the dimmer switches are infamous for going bad but don't look past anything silly like a fuse.