Dipstick

wolfheads

Jul 17, 2018
Florida
I need to know the length of the dipstick for my 94 Mustang gt 5.0. I recently had it serviced and they installed 5 quarts of oil plus filter. The next day I checked the level and it shows to be 1-1/2 quarts over full. I may have the wrong dipstick in it. I recall it being over full the time before that when serviced.

• Sponsors (?)

Aren't 5.0 Windsor dipsticks marked incorrectly? I've always heard that you just put in your 5 quarts, the dipstick will show you're way overfull, but you're not.

Just did an oil change on my '85. Someone put another mark on the stick; after 5 quarts plus filter, the level is pretty close to the new mark.

Another possibility: did the shop drain both sumps? On mine, the front sump didn't have much oil in it. If I had drained just the front and then put in 5 quarts, I'd be way over.

On fox V8 and grand marque/crown vic 5.0 engines there are two drain plugs, one in the front of the pan and one in the rear bottom, some miss the front plug because of the sway bar, it kinda can hide it if you don't know.
As for the oil level on the dipstick:

I think it is upside down and really blurred but you can see the arrows point to the bottom of the shaded area and the 'F' in FULL and it states do not fill past the 'F', it also states 5 quarts with filter.

Reactions: 1 user