Dirt in engine when removing intake manifold?

jabGT

Mar 11, 2004
Michigan
When I took my intake mainfold off I cleaned top area as best as I could but still got crud in lifter area and even down in valve ports. I shined a flash light and could see dirt on top of valves.

Do you think I shoud take heads off and throughly clean intake ports and cylinders? Or will this dirt be expelled out the exhaust? I'am considering taking them off anyways to inspect pistons and valves for signs of detonation, and carbon build up on heads. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Borrow a vacuum cleaner with a long slender wand to suck it out. Or you can take some duct tape and a short piece of garden hose to stick on the end of the regular vacuum cleaner hose. Stick that down in the ports to suck up the debris.

I usually put a piece of duct tape over the openings of the lower manifold if ther upper is off for any length of time.

Good ideas, I did take a vacuum to it and did get some of it out I'll try the garden hose trick also.

Should I be conserned of the small amount of dirt that may have got in the cylinder(s) that the valves were open?

Thanks for the help

When I pulled the virgin factory intake a few years back, I watched in slow motion horror as the back end slipped out of my hand and poomf, sand and grunge all over the place. I wiped up what I could and left the rest to the oil filter. 3 years later, still no problems. I think macro particles like sand are less of a problem than metal shavings. The engine can easily crush sand particles but metal particles dont crush. Remember, this is a 300 ft-lbs of torque machine with plenty of rotating mass. It will happily demolish quite a bit of debris.

Dont worry too much about it, just give it a 10 minute driveway idle then change the oil.