disable daytime run lights on 00 GT - HELP!!

cobrajeff00

Jun 21, 2005
I have a canadian model mustang and I want to know if anybody has disabled the DRL (daytime run lights) without a lot of work. I have read on other forums about simply pulling a fuse or relay, but I cant seem to locate one on my car.

Now, I will answer your questions first:

#1 - NO, I am not canadian. I live in Michigan, (part of the USA) the car was an export model and then brought back from canada.

#2 - No, I do not want to completly rewire my lights

Thanks in advance to those who will offer help rather than comments.

• Sponsors (?)

cobrajeff00 said:
I have a canadian model mustang and I want to know if anybody has disabled the DRL (daytime run lights) without a lot of work. I have read on other forums about simply pulling a fuse or relay, but I cant seem to locate one on my car.

Now, I will answer your questions first:

#1 - NO, I am not canadian. I live in Michigan, (part of the USA) the car was an export model and then brought back from canada.

#2 - No, I do not want to completly rewire my lights

Thanks in advance to those who will offer help rather than comments.

Look in your owner manual for the fusebox diagram (the one under the steering wheel), look for a fuse for DRL (daytime running lights) pull that one.

I couldn't see what your citizenship would have to do with disabling lights though......
Nor rewiring them, that is for having your fogs on when brights are on I believe...

On older model vehicles with DRL's, if you pulled the center console off, by the e-brake you could ground one of the wires and it would keep them from coming on. I don't recall which wire you ground, but a quick look at a wiring diagram would probably help you out.

Its just a plug and play affair...........

DRL'S are illegal in most states (too bright)

Ford was disable DRL's for free, so ask them.

I have two Canada rides, so I like my DRL'S.

If I was in the states I would tell you how to disconect the system.............

Cavallo said:

If I was in the states I would tell you how to disconect the system.............

I dunno about them being illegal.... DRL's are usually just the low beams set to be on all the time when the car is running (no markers, fogs), can't see how thats too bright.
Would be interested in any link you could provide about DRLs being illegal.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing, if you want the markers/fogs to still be on, but no low beams, pull the fuse like was mentioned before, and only pull out your headlight knob to the first click.

Dealer HAS to remove the DRL'S if you asked them.

Second it the high beams that are on at low power.

Lots of websites are out there against DRL'S

Here is what I posted in 2003:

Make : FORD Model : F150 Year : 1998
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 00V168000 Recall Date : JUN 15, 2000
Component: EXTERIOR lighting
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 20637
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MINI VANS, LIGHT PICKUP TRUCKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. OFF LEASE CANADIAN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS WHICH MEET CANADIAN REQUIREMENTS AND NOT THE PHOTOMETRIC REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." ACCORDING TO FORD, THE VEHICLES WERE IMPORTED INTO THE U.S. ERRONEOUSLY.
Consequence:
THE LIGHT GIVEN OFF FROM THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS IS BRIGHTER THAN ALLOWED BY U.S. STANDARDS.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL BE ADVISED TO DEACTIVATE THE RUNNING LIGHT FUNCTION AND TO COMPLETE ANY OUTSTANDING SAFETY RECALLS ON THESE VEHICLES.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JULY 19, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Does that HELP ????

Search engines are our friend..............

thanks for the info. I found a fuse marked DRL and pulled it. So far, so good. I will check into the dealer thing, but the closest dealer is 40 mins away and its almost too much hassle to deal with.

Cavallo said:

How can they be illegal cause they are too bright? its during the day.. I am sure the sun is brighter then the DRLs on any car..

not wanting to promote what I stated in my earlier posting, but I have noticed that particularily on GM products, they use the HIGH beam at a slightly reduced power level as their DRLs (according to the GM manual). This is noticably diffrent from the ford DRL's and the high beam DRL's do hurt my eyes, as well as others..

I think DRL's are a bad idea in the US anyway. It completly defeats the purpose of motorcycles having their light on. It used to be, see a headlight on in the daytime, there was a motorcycle coming so be careful till it passes. not anymore.

I also think DRL's were a terrible idea. Since they come on whether you want them to or not, and don't turn the tail lights on, many ignorant type people start the car up at night and just drive around with no tail lights. They're dangerous if you ask me.

I beleive it's the high beams on at 50% power.

I drive around with my Parking lights on with my fog lamps and use those as my DRL's. I do it mainly for the looks, but i'll take it as a safety feature too :)

Last edited:
Good think 13 years later pretty much every new car on the road runs some sort of LED spaceship array of DRL's.

I have seen a couple of cars with those(Audi, MB, Caddy) and they had one or more of those little LED's out(It would drive me crazy). I think it looked like crap, especially on an expensive car like that and I understand you have to replace the whole ass'y for major bucks.