Disc Brakes conversion

sj9ers

May 19, 2007
I'm planning to do a front disc brake conversion on my car over the summer using this kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-GT-2008-DISC-BRAKE-conversion-65-73-Mustang_W0QQitemZ110243163526QQihZ001QQcategoryZ34199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and I am now in the process of gathering parts to get ready for the conversion. As of right now my car is a 6 cylinder with manual drum brakes all around. I have already purchased 5 lug spindles for the front and a 5 lug 8" rear end and I'm also in the process of purchasing a set of rims. I was wondering what other parts I would need to finish this job up? I'm trying to keep this project as cost effective as possible because I'm a college student, and would appreciate info such as the geo metro power booster swap and things of that nature in terms of interchangeable parts that are easily found among junkyards. I also plan to swap to a V8 later which is also part of the reason I'm doing this.
Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

I would rather pick booster+MC from 08gt, and you may have to remove your clutch/brake assembly to redrill holes (to fit the booster). I don't know about geo metro and how its booster will work with this calipers. need not be big enough very likely.

I would also reinforce the brackets. It looks like 6mm low grade steel and I think it its way too thin especially around the bolts openings. if you have mig I would at least weld 6x6mm rod all around (watch for clearance) and also weld the two parts together, in addition to joining by bolts. See for youself how beefy are these brackets in stock 08gt.

There's no need to reinforce the brackets that come with the '08 GT kit you mention..very beefy.

The kit is a very simple bolt on, just need a few brake fittings to adapt the soft lines to your hard lines.

check www.mustangsteve.com
or www.ultrastang.com for various ideas of brake boosters/master cylinders that are cost effective.

I'm going with a sn95 master cylinder for my setup-I'm also running rear disc..

I have the '08 GT kit on my '65, no engine yet, can't tell you about brake feel yet.

The wheels I chose are 17x8 torque thrust "M" with 0 (zero) offset. front tires are 225/45 and rears are 245/45...

see link.. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=745240