Distributor autozone sucks compared to motorcraft?

• Sponsors (?)

Might as well tow a spare Mustang behind you. Because if you have a spare ECU, the wheel bearing will go.

Kurt
I agree with Kurt, here. Replace the capacitors and keep a spare at home. An malfunctioning EECIV can run poorly for some time. Just completely dying is rare. But without the right size belt, you should not be going anywhere, and it’s easy to replace. Do preventative maintenance and drive.
Les

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder about those guys that trailer their car down to the beach behind a truck. I wonder if they carry any tools or spare parts. Nah, they don’t have room. They just trailer the car back home right? That’s is, whether it breaks down or not.

I wonder about those guys that trailer their car down to the beach behind a truck. I wonder if they carry any tools or spare parts. Nah, they don’t have room. They just trailer the car back home right? That’s is, whether it breaks down or not.
I don’t trailer my car to the beach,..I drive it. 550-600 miles RT. I don’t chew my nails off wondering what what will possibly fck up, and carry any spare part to try and circumvent some failure.

Do you have some W.T.F.’s gonna fail crystal ball ?

You get in it and drive. On one hand , You hope it don’t strand you..but the man in you just says just say fck it and drive.

Fuses,zip ties, tire plugs, water/oil/and a jack….anything more complicated than that screams just buy a new 2021 car, and just wax and polish your broken down fox. You just bought yourself a 2nd class wussie badge.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Actually, changing the ECU in a fox is less complicated than changing a flat tire.

BTW, a 2021 car can have a flat tire at any time.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "spare ECU" example was not well chosen. The ECU is solid state, and just about the last damn thing on the car to fail. I sold car parts for years, and I can count on one penis (I was going to say hand, but even that had an excessive number of digits) how many ECUs I sold. I did a quick estimate, and my best guestimate is that I have sold $1.3 million in car parts, of which $180 was a singular (penis) ECU.

Kurt

Last edited:
I don’t trailer my car to the beach,..I drive it. 550-600 miles RT. I don’t chew my nails off wondering what what will possibly fck up, and carry any spare part to try and circumvent some failure.

Do you have some W.T.F.’s gonna fail crystal ball ?

You get in it and drive. On one hand , You hope it don’t strand you..but the man in you just says just say fck it and drive.

Fuses,zip ties, tire plugs, water/oil/and a jack….anything more complicated than that screams just buy a new 2021 car, and just wax and polish your broken down fox. You just bought yourself a 2nd class wussie badge.

You and I are a little older and more conditioned than most of the group here. We have realized through experience that you can't prepare for everything, and over worrying it isn't going to help anyway. Your car randomly decides to not start. There is no amount of preparation that will prevent it from getting a piggy back ride. If it happens, it happens. I have money, I'll tow it to a storage unit and deal with it later. I used to drive my car 600 miles round trip every weekend to get some :taco:.

Kurt

The ECU is solid state, and just about the last damn thing on the car to fail.

My ECU failed on my 92 LX. It's been the only no start (stranded) failure in the 8 years I've owned the car. 75k miles on the odometer. It happened without warning symptoms leading up to it.

Mechanical parts like belts and bearings don't concern me much. I maintain those things properly. If they fail it's usually pretty easy to deal with in most cases, even when you dont have parts or tools. But a local shop cannot fix your failed ECU when a part is not readily available.

Apparently we do not have enough beach areas here. Why would someone trailer their car to one? Are they holding shows there on the coast?
Panama City Fla, hosts numerous events throughout the year. I go to the Emerald coast cruise-in in March, or November.
The Mississippi gulf coast hosts the best one however, with an international draw.

And there are plenty of trailered vehicles in attendance. Mostly because they are show cars, but i’m sure there’s a few that don’t trust the car to drive it that far. ( Maybe they should consider buying a trailer to tow behind their cars so they can drag all of their “ what happens if’s” with them instead).

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Alot of the parts on my car cannot be gotten locally... It at all (cuz I make em) so.. if it breaks down I just pay the tow man and BS with the Uber driver.
Can't prepare for everything, if takes more than a screwdriver and a ziptie it ain't happening on the road side.

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of 2021 cars again and their assumed reliability, a friend of mine just had a big problem with his $90k 2021 Audi Q7s. Fuel line burst and emptied the gas tank in the driveway. Only 3600 miles on the odometer.

Alot of the parts on my car cannot be gotten locally... It at all (cuz I make em) so.. if it breaks down I just pay the tow man and BS with the Uber driver.
Can't prepare for everything, if takes more than a screwdriver and a ziptie it ain't happening on the road side.
Same here.

Kurt

Speaking of 2021 cars again and their assumed reliability, a friend of mine just had a big problem with his $90k 2021 Audi Q7s. Fuel line burst and emptied the gas tank in the driveway. Only 3600 miles on the odometer.

My wife's Fusion is at 117,000 miles and has never had a single repair. Don't buy an Audi.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users