distributor cover oil pump driver

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
what is that thing with the sensor on the top that drives the oil pump where the distributor should be on older cars. it is under the coil packs on my 95. if it was turned would it affect anything as in th idle or anything.

• Sponsors (?)

That's the camshaft position sensor. Not sure if it is adjustable. Just recently purchased a 94 from a little lot here in town. Check engine light was on before i bought the car(bought anyways because of the price) but he agreed to fix whatever was causing the problem. $560.00 bucks later at his expense no check engine light, new cam position sensor and drive gear. I noticed no difference from before the unit was replaced. mechanic stated that only real difference i should notice is in better gas mileage. before I had it repaired it was getting about 19 mpg comuting back in forth to work. haven't checked to see if there is any difference yet though.

There is a lengthy process that is required if you remove it(The shaft). I was going to try and replace mine and have the car lot owner reimburse me plus a little extra, but after reding whats involved in replacing I left it to a qualified tech....lol. I do remember reading that you had to be sure to set a certain cylinder to tdc. Will check once i get home and post.

Yes it is the Cam position sensor and if removed it has to go back in exactly the same or you need a special cam position sensor tool to realign it other wise it will cause bad idling or worse. When you swap out a cam it needs to be removed and put back in, it isn't hard if you know what your doing, but I would leave it alone unless you really need to remove it.

i had to take it out and switch it with the 95 one and the idle does suck and i am running very rich on the left bank. i had the coes ran and it was the o2 sensor code. with an exhaust leak do this i have one now where the header bolts to the pipe. anyway the code for a cam positioner did not show up and i turned it while it was running and no difference.