Distributor question

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I've been doing a lot of fixing on my car as you guys know. And like normal, an old aggravation came back. About 2 years ago, maybe 3 I rebuilt my distributor with new TFI and PIP. Well it's already giving me the old intermittent instant shutoff and back on while driving. I have one of my extra OEM distributors ready to go. It's actually still all original. It's bone dry though. I'd like it to spin a little easier just for my own piece of mind. What would you guys oil/lube it with? It's not going to be taken apart so I'll need to maybe drop a few drops of 3 in 1 machine oil or motor oil or something down in it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Stop wasting time on old dis. I got one from Oreillys
for $80 bucks,brand new,even came with cap and rotor,been daily driven for past six years no problemo.Check email out.

I bought the exact same one from O'Reilly last year. It was the most flimsy junk I'd ever seen. It got returned. That's why I keep OEM Ford casings. The junk PIPs and TFIs are the problem...not the casing.
My only question is about lube. It's probably a dumb question and I often regret asking some things.

I've been doing a lot of fixing on my car as you guys know. And like normal, an old aggravation came back. About 2 years ago, maybe 3 I rebuilt my distributor with new TFI and PIP. Well it's already giving me the old intermittent instant shutoff and back on while driving. I have one of my extra OEM distributors ready to go. It's actually still all original. It's bone dry though. I'd like it to spin a little easier just for my own piece of mind. What would you guys oil/lube it with? It's not going to be taken apart so I'll need to maybe drop a few drops of 3 in 1 machine oil or motor oil or something down in it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks guys.
3 in 1 oil would be ok, just a few drops, spin it by hand wipe it off and drop it in.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it has. The sad thing is, with all the new Chinese junk replacement parts you can put new parts in and still not be confident they aren't bad.

That is for sure the truth... I have put in a new one before and its come apart a year or so later, so its a good thing to just double check it since its easy to get too

This is also a normal case of the ignition switch coming apart as well. Has this been replaced as well?

When you replace the ignition switch, use super glue along the line where the plastic and metal sections mate . Be careful not to use too much and it will work great. The switches tend to come apart because the snaps don't hold the two halves together.