do autolite AP-764s need to be gapped?

stangGT97

Dec 22, 2004
Boston area, MA
Ok guys, so about a month ago I replaced my motorcraft plugs with Autolite AP-764s (platinum plugs), and ever since, the car has bucked at low rpms, and idles kind of high (IAC has been replaced, MAF cleaned). I was told that they did not come pre-gapped, and that I needed to use a gapper to put them to 0.054". After doing some searching, I've seen many people say that platinums come pre-gapped and that they can be damaged if you try to regap them. So did I screw up by gapping or was I right in what I did? Sorry if this has been covered, I couldnt find a definitive answer in my searches. Thanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The reason why people say not to gap platnium plugs is because the platnium is really just a coating over a copper electrode. Gapping them tends to scratch the platnium coating off.

I've NEVER had a pre-gapped plug actually be the correct gap, so i don't buy that bunch of BS. A lot of the pre-gap myth comes from the fact that you can't gap those bosch multi-electrode plugs...so they state that they are pregapped.

I doubt the damage caused by gapping would be significant. All you are doing is scratching off that worthless platnium coating and going down to copper.

Mustang5L5 said:
The reason why people say not to gap platnium plugs is because the platnium is really just a coating over a copper electrode. Gapping them tends to scratch the platnium coating off.

I've NEVER had a pre-gapped plug actually be the correct gap, so i don't buy that bunch of BS. A lot of the pre-gap myth comes from the fact that you can't gap those bosch multi-electrode plugs...so they state that they are pregapped.

I doubt the damage caused by gapping would be significant. All you are doing is scratching off that worthless platnium coating and going down to copper.

yeah I was really confused because I believe the AP764s come with a 0.044" gap (at least thats what I measured) but I've seen some guys on here who know what theyre talking about say "DO NOT GAP PLATINUMS!!" Hence my confusion... but maybe thats just for the motorcraft platinums.

also what could that bucking be caused by then? I know my clutch is pretty toasted, maybe thats it?

stangGT97 said:
but I've seen some guys on here who know what theyre talking about say "DO NOT GAP PLATINUMS!!"

Well i myself say DO NOT USE PLATNIUMS THROW THEM AWAY!!

But that's my opinion :D

Seriously, on a performance car like a Mustang you should stick with copper plugs. Autolite 764;s

Every single spark plug ever purchased needs to be gap checked before it goes in. One disgruntled quality control employee could be the difference between your car now, and your car with a dead cylinder.

I agree, do not use platinum and always at least check the gap before installing. The only plugs I would not try to gap are the split or quad fire plugs. But I would not buy those cheesy things anyway.

For me the perfect plug is Motorcraft AGSF-32C gapped at .054

I think that you should check the gaps on all your plugs and make sure you have the right amount for your car.
What is that gap supposed to be at anyway? :shrug:

From the what you're describing, sounds to me like incorrect gap. I'm no mechanic, but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Just my $.02

DBMSTNG said:
never use platinum plugs unless it's an OEM replacement and always gap any sparkplug.

i.e., only use Motorcraft platinums? I bought the autolites not knowing that most people use the coppers, and figured since the platinums were "OE Style" that they should be okay. The weird thing is that my car pulls very smoothly after about 3000 rpm, but anything before that and its like im driving a 4cyl. I definitely gapped the plugs at 0.054" though, I triple checked them and ensured that they were torqued correctly and had di-electric grease on them. Its just annoying you know? I spend $20 or something on new plugs, and my car runs worse lol. The wires have about 15k on them and seem to be in good condition

So do you recommend picking up some Motorcraft coppers?

stangGT97 said:
So do you recommend picking up some Motorcraft coppers?

I would. Platnium plugs work well for 95% of the general public. It's the 5% who are into modifying cars that tend not to run them. Of course every time you go to an autoparts store they tend to push th eplatniums.

The only benefit of platnium plugs is longer intervals between plug changes. That's in really.

Platinums are great of you want to change your plugs very infrequently. Platinum is more durable, copper has a hotter spark. Copper needs to be changed more often.

Splitfire and Quadfire are the ultimate lose in a 4.6 engine :notnice: Audi, VW, and Mercedes drivers can rave about them all they want, I am not buying them.

The stock plug for my 2001GT is AGSF-32P (platinum) or AGSF-32PP (double platinum) but I choose to use AGSF-32C (copper). The old guy at the Ford parts counter seems to be very hostile towards individuals who choose plugs other than what the book says to :rlaugh:

stangGT97, i can give you a definitive answer, YES they can..and usually need to be gapped.

Most people that gap plugs monkey hand it like idiots, using a rusty wrench to BEND them to proper gap...lol. Believe me, i worked at autozone and the ***** i've seen cracked me up...

BTW i have a 95 4.6 thunderbird, and the engine spec sticker says .052-.056 for the gap. I used the same platinum 764's like you, and gapped at .056..... Right away, and for the next 2 weeks i noticed the car would make thud noises, and kinda hesitate with that sound..under accelerating from like 20-30mph. I took the plugs out, gapped to .052 and it is COMPLETELY gone.

PS platinum 764's are great plugs, don't let some people get you paranoid saying you NEED copper plugs. Yeah it is prefered, but the platinums are good.

As long as you don't use bosch.

chris kelvin said:
PS platinum 764's are great plugs, don't let some people get you paranoid saying you NEED copper plugs. Yeah it is prefered, but the platinums are good.

yeah the bosch 4 tips are a joke lol. I knew autolite made good products, I wasnt sure if maybe their platinum plugs were where they fell short though. do you think a 0.052" gap may help the lack of power and shaking my car has?

chris kelvin said:

I don't think people are saying he needs coppers, but coppers should be used if you want a better performing plug. Platinums last longer and should be used for normal driving where you dont want to be changing plugs alot.