Do I need a clutch

Hiltonizer

Mar 2, 2004
Rowley, MA
my car is about to turn 30k miles... last few days or so its been driving really bad.. it kinda bucks the first few hundred rpms into first and 2nd gear some times... and lately it feels like the clutch doest catch as soon as it used to.

car also feels a bit sluggish :-\

• Sponsors (?)

Hiltonizer said:
my car is about to turn 30k miles... last few days or so its been driving really bad.. it kinda bucks the first few hundred rpms into first and 2nd gear some times... and lately it feels like the clutch doest catch as soon as it used to.

Depends how you drive can kill a clutch pretty quik. Are you letting off the clutch all the way before you give it gas ? Do you ever smell clutch ? I would say get a spec stage 1 it wouldnt hurt :nice:

Huh. 30K and a bad clutch doesnt seem right. You said it "bucks" for the first few hundred rpms in 1st and 2nd? And it has only been noticable for the past few days? Give us a little more insight on how long its been happening for and does this bucking happen when the car is cold?

One way to tell if its the clutch is get on it hard from 2nd to 3rd, and see if the clutch slips. Or from 1st to 2nd if you can avoid spinning.

And clutch labor (disc, press. plate, and t/o bearing) is about 250-300.

Andrew_5.0 said:
Huh. 30K and a bad clutch doesnt seem right. You said it "bucks" for the first few hundred rpms in 1st and 2nd? And it has only been noticable for the past few days? Give us a little more insight on how long its been happening for and does this bucking happen when the car is cold?

One way to tell if its the clutch is get on it hard from 2nd to 3rd, and see if the clutch slips. Or from 1st to 2nd if you can avoid spinning.

Aint that hard to do it yourself really... just time consuming.

Did my first one a while back on my GT... took about 10 hours mainly by myself (though raising the tranny took another pair of hands to steady her, no tranny jack >.<) Just gotta know the problem areas... like knowing the tranny wont go in the last 1/4 inch until you tighten the tranny bolts down... and if you dont have shorty wrenches the 2 upper starter bolts are a b*tch and a half.

Andrew_5.0 said:

whats it mean when your clutch slips?

Hiltonizer said:

A good test fo rthe clutch is : At idle, put the trans in 5th, then let the clutch pedal up. If the engine stalls, the clutch still has life in her. Maybe all you need is an adjustment. HTH

Andrew_5.0 said:

doesnt matter whether the car is warm or cold... if i start out in 1st or 2nd.. the car will buck (jerking stop and go back and forth, i was told this is the clutch bouncing) it's always done it on occassion... but the last few days its been persistant

Centerforce Dual Friction
Steeda Double hook quadrant/Firewall Adjuster. Done.

Get those puppies installed at Mikes Mobil in danvers (Endicott ST) (Across the street of Liberty Tree Mall) for about $250. Speak to Nick ( the head tech)
Nick has a 9 second mustang. (he built the engine) good guy.
Tell him Sam said Hi!