Do I need a new engine/rebuild?

Blackrosepet

Jan 15, 2006
A day after having my intake manifold gaskets replaced, I lost oil pressure and it started tapping in the top-end. My mechanic and few second and third opinions say I basically just need a new engine. Could I possibly get by with a new oil pump and/or screen or do you guys suggest a new engine as well. The car presently has 190,000 miles on it but ran as well as to be expected before the oil pressure issue.

-amanda

• Sponsors (?)

Amanda,

I think that a rebuild is definitely in order. Not sure exactly what the carnage looks like though, maybe during the tear down something will be discovered. I don't agree that replacing the entire engine off the bat is best way to preceed, unless you can get a smoking deal on a quality junkyard replacement or crate engine.

Honestly at that mileage level a rebuild is a good idea regardless.

Adam

Welp, on advice from my mechanic, I started it up today after a week of sitting. It sat there and idled, with a few revs to 1500 or so for 30 minutes with perfect oil pressure. No tapping, nothing. This car has fixed itself before......i'm telling ya, I'm driving Christine.

My oil pressure has been acting funny lately too. I'm pretty sure it's my sending unit though. I can start it and it will have normal pressure, but sometimes it has hardly any unless I shut it off and restart it then it's fine again. I would see if someone has a mechanical oil pressure gauge you could borrow and see what it says. That way you actually know how many PSI it has instead of it being "NORMAL".

Probably messed up the shaft when he reinstalled the ditsy or something. :rlaugh:

Is that easy to do? I mean, I trust him, he's been working on my cars and my family's cars for probably 20 years and have never had any problem with repairs. I understand things do happen though.

If I go the new oil pump & pickup route, should I go with a new shaft as well?

Yeah, he changed the oil. He said it was really sludgy and he "knew" it wasn't going to run much longer. Next day, boom, no oil pressure. What do you guys think of a motor flush, another oil change and a new pump and screen? I figure I'll spend the $300 before I start thinking of a new engine or a new car.

So i haven't touched it since last Friday. Today i start it and it holds good pressure for about an hour of sitting/idling and driving around the neighborhood. After that hour or so, it starts to lose pressure. I can shut it off and let it sit a minute and when I restart it, it has pressure...wtf is going on here?