Dec 26, 2020
NC
My 2004 mustang GT has these components installed:

8 accell supercoils
8 AC Delco platinum spark plugs
8 800-1060N GP Sorensen fuel injectors
Cold air intake with big K and N filter
Delphi fuel pump CFE0443

Do I need to get a tune? Is it safe to drive it like it is if I go easy on it to the Tuner? What’s the cheapest most effective way to tune? Take it to a tuner or buy one of those handheld tuners?? Really lost never tuned a car before.

• Sponsors (?)

A tune? For what? It's a CAI away from being stock.
Ok I was just concerned that maybe the new fuel pump injectors and coils weren’t matching up with the stock parameters. And the extra air... 5 minutes after installing the new injectors my head gasket leak returned from a year ago.. after getting on it a few times. I had used blue devil to seal it.

Also when I replace my head gasket is there anything I should know? Do I need to get my head resurfaced? What’s the acceptable level of flatness? Should I just have them measure it and see if I need it or not.... Or just go ahead and get it resurfaced anyways? Trying to save cash. Would you get new valve seats? Anything I should replace since I’m going to have it apart anyways?

Last edited:
No, you don't need a tune. Those injectors are the same flow rate as stock, and the rest isn't going to throw anything off.

As for the head gaskets, using those pour in sealants is asking for trouble. That crap just clogs things up (like the radiator and coolant passages). I'd be flushing everything out very thoroughly. I would definitely have the heads check for flatness; aluminum heads aren't hard to warp. As for the rest, check the video below out, guy does a pretty good job of explaining a basic head rebuild, including tips to check the valve seats. He's doing an LS pushrod head, but the principles still apply. I'd definitely replace the valve stem seals while you have it apart, but the rest depends on the condition of the head.

Low Buck Cylinder Head Rebuild