Do-it-u-self Tuning?

GreyDiesel

Jul 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Curious. What would I need to tune my engine myself?

Instead of buying an email tune from a tuner, or visiting a dynoshop for a custom tune, Can I buy some software and hook up my laptop to the car and do it myself?

If so, what software would I need, and where can I get it?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm by no means an expert on this, but it seems to me that an SCT tuner or a Diablo tuner would be needed to do what you want. They both are able to read the sensors available to the ECU, so you'd be able to gather data and adjust things as you see fit.

Those tuners do have settings that you can change, but not the tune itself. I am not actually planning on doing much, just curious. It would be nice if I could plug in a laptop, and see all the info, not just what SCT allows me to see on the tiny tuner display.

Those tuners do have settings that you can change, but not the tune itself. I am not actually planning on doing much, just curious. It would be nice if I could plug in a laptop, and see all the info, not just what SCT allows me to see on the tiny tuner display.

I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure there was a USB port on the SCT tuner with which you could connect it to a computer.

Actually, here's a link that has stuff to do with that.

SCT Downloads / Product Registration

SCT offers a Racer package that allows you to use your SF3/X3 unit and their advantage software i believe it is to have full control over your cars tune. This is limited to one vehicle i believe, but here is a link to their site where they have more info, SCT Automotive Performance Products.

They do offer a datalogging software called Livelink, not sure if that was part of GilmourD's link, but it is also found on SCT's website for free

Yeah I was going to say, don't forget about Sniper... They seem to be the most stand alone system for tuning. It comes with basically everything you need, except experience to tune your car :rlaugh: In any case be CAREFUL!! Doing it yourself can be dangerous...

Yep, I use LiveLink and my Livewire tuner for datalogging, but it doesn't allow you to change anything.

SCT's racer package, sniper, and other software packages allow you to create custom tunes.

Eventually I'd like to play with this as well, but as stated already, you have to be VERY careful when playing with this. Ideally you should have access to a dyno, but minimally you should log as much data as possible on every engine parameter, and you should DEFINATELY closely monitor your AFR so as not to damage your engine.