Stangg338

Dec 17, 2019
Utah
So I've been on the fence on getting lowering springs for my 01 Mustang GT Vert that is still on stock springs. I've been looking at Ford Performance "G" Springs for convertibles but question for everyone. I don't do any drag racing at the track but do a lot of spirited driving and launches on the street. I'm not looking to have the fastest car in the world but I just don't want to lower my car and get worse traction than I did with stock springs. How has everyone's experience been with traction with lowering springs? I'm not looking to slam my car but rather just a 1" drop all the way around with progressive rate springs. It's my daily (all year long) so I'm not looking for drag springs. I have all new slightly stiffer shocks and struts and control arms installed.
The "G" springs rate =
Front: 500/570 lb/in.
Rear: 170/310 lb/in.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have lowered 5 SN95 cars and one new edge in the last 25 years and have never noticed a difference in traction between the stock springs and the lowering springs. I used all different types springs, from eibach’s, to Ford Motorsport B’s and C’s, to most recently H&R. Most were used but some were new.

I think you will be fine with what you choose.

Reactions: 1 user
I have lowered 5 SN95 cars and one new edge in the last 25 years and have never noticed a difference in traction between the stock springs and the lowering springs. I used all different types springs, from eibach’s, to Ford Motorsport B’s and C’s, to most recently H&R. Most were used but some were new.

I think you will be fine with what you choose.
Thank you so much for this. I’ve been scratching my head for weeks trying to see if lowering springs would be ideal for me and I guess there’s only one way, and that’s to install them and test them out on the street. General idea is everybody lowers their stang so I might as well do it since that’s one of the last things to do in my suspension. Thanks again!

Your welcome, In addition to the lowering springs I suggest you get some camber plates. Like springs, there are plenty of brands out there but I have always used maximum motorsports in all my cars and have been very happy with them. Also, you may want to get some offset rack bushings. That is another thing I do when I lower a car to try and minimize the bump steer. With the offset rack bushings, I have little to no bump steer on my SN95 cars. I honestly do not notice it. On my foxbody Saleen, I really noticed it when I first bought the car. It was awful. Offset rack bushings did not help much so I installed a bump steer kit and that solved it. Good luck to you.

Don’t lower it more than that if you want to drive it on the street. Fox and SN95 cars handle better when there is some suspension movement. I
I do not know how the G springs compare to the MM light blue springs, but I am so much happier with B springs. It took a very short time to get used to progressive springs that did not rattle my kidneys. I could have send poly spacers with the MM springs and am glad I did not. It had been a slot car on smooth roads. I do not think I have lost any grip I could measure off a track

Last edited: