Do they ALL do that?

gearhead77

Mar 13, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
So, in a moment of weakness, I bought the SVE 70mm throttle body, spacer and fenderwell CAI from LMR last spring and just got around to installing it. Hindsight and research after the fact shows that whistling from CAI's is fairly common and is due to the IAC.

It doesn't whistle all the time, a slight whine if that at most throttle settings. But when it does whistle, I find it annoying as hell!

I see the fix is to smooth the IAC opening on the throttle body, is it worth it?

Is there any way to fix what I have besides taking a Dremel to it? Toying with just putting the stock airbox back in, minus the "honk box".

OR

Do I upgrade to a better system with a larger MAF but for stock injectors? I really don't plan on doing much to this car, except maybe changing the 2:73 rear end to a 3:31 and possibly a rear disc conversion keeping the four lugs (with an eye to the LMR gold mesh wheels as an upgrade to the turbines.) This is a time capsule cruiser with some upgrades, not outright speed machine.

• Sponsors (?)

I have not known an Accufab to whistle. I bought mine partly because of advice from others specifically about whistling (BBK comes directly to mind).

Now that I have said that, there will be 100 guys in here talking about whistling Accufabs. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
You took care of the intake side now just do the exhaust ( headers,midpipe,catback) and you won't be able to hear the whitsle.

I think he said the TB is an SVE unit? I would smooth the IAC opening as it’s free and will most likely solve the issue. I have a BBK 70mm and no whistle so ???

I swapped from a BBK 70mm TB to an Accufab 70mm throttle body specifically because the BBK whistled at idle and I was told that Accufabs do not. The Accufab did not whistle at idle, however, it really whistles LOUDLY at part throttle around ~1/4 throttle or so. It's annoying, and I'll smooth the inside ports around the IAC when that's the biggest priority, which might be a while.

I swapped from a BBK 70mm TB to an Accufab 70mm throttle body specifically because the BBK whistled at idle and I was told that Accufabs do not. The Accufab did not whistle at idle, however, it really whistles LOUDLY at part throttle around ~1/4 throttle or so. It's annoying, and I'll smooth the inside ports around the IAC when that's the biggest priority, which might be a while.
This SVE whistles slightly at idle, barely noticeable, but at 1/4 throttle or thereabouts, it's pretty obnoxious.

Is it worth upgrading to a larger MAF too? For example, LMR has a Pro-M 75 MM MAF for stock injectors. I can see how it would be more beneficial but is it worth it?

I do like the sound the car has now (besides the whistle!) and the "butt dyno" says the car feels a bit livelier, but that could be the butt dyno lying.

Don't know your level of modifications. I'd say there's not much sense upgrading the stock 58mm TB to a 70mm when running the stock ~55mm MAF. That said, I don't think either are worth much if anything with the stock intake. So, I'd encourage you to upgrade both the MAF & the stock intake to an explorer intake for a couple hundred bucks. You'll see at least 10rwhp, but probably more like 15 and a ton more mid-range torque. IMO these upgrades, as well as headers & mid-pipe are well worth the money. You should see another 15 rwhp or so from the exhaust mods. You can continue running the stock injectors, no problem, if you're not doing much more.

Honestly I've only heard of the BBK whistling, I still have the original IAC and have a 75mm Accufab with no whistle.

Attachments

• 20170715_103016.jpg
    20170715_103016.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: