does a stall give you any more gains than just being able to stall it up at the line?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
I just got off the phone with Andre at edge and it crossed my head after i got off the phone.

He told me the converter will be the single most improvment in my car.
Will i feel anything while actaully driving it fast, or do i just get that good launch?

• Sponsors (?)

No differance at crusing speed or at any speeds in general. You may notice a decrease in gas milage if you have a non-lock unit due to the higher rpm you will have to maintain to keep it at speed.

The converter effects the "acceleration" by curving the torque multiplication of the converter.

Look at it like this:
If the stall converter is made for 3000 stall - ANY RPM BELOW 3000 the conveter is slipping (just spinning in the fluid) once you reach 3000 the fins in the converter are begining to be pushed enough to turn the input shaft at maximum efficiency.

If you cruise your car at 2000 rpm in OD with a non-lock converter - you are wasting energy becuase the converter is made to use the energy of the moving fluid BEST at 3000 rpm.

That is why lockup converters were invented - to eleimate the waste of energy.

The converter will be seat of pant performance for accelaration/dragstip only. Not top speed.

Foxfan88 said:
so a stall will give me that 2500 rpm pull right off the line???

Yes if you have the power. Just because a convertor is rated at a specific RPM doesn't mean that it will "lock up" at that RPM in every car under every situation. A car with low HP may only be able to stall it to 2,000 RPM while a high HP car may be able to get it as high as 2,700 or 2,800 RPM.

You can also do what's called "flash" the convertor. That where you would bring the RPM up about 1/2 way to the advertised stall until the you're ready to go. Then you nail the gas and it could cause the convertor to rev as much as 500 RPM over the advertised stall.

Edge's converter are really awesome. I've got the 3000 9.5" one in my car. On the motor with just some bolt on's, it stalled right at 3000 rpm. Couldn't believe how hard the car left off the line.

The converter also helps in highway running. When you get on it at speed, the converter is helping to multiply your torque. You'll definately feel alot better pull in 2nd and 3rd gear.