Does it matter if my paint color matches the sticker?

All,

I have an 86 GT convertible that is pretty stock. I am pretty sure the only non stock modifications would be the Flowmaster exhaust, removoval of cats and emission pump, update to the wheels, and an aftermarket radio.

I need to paint the outside. Does it hurt the value if you paint it a color that doesn't match what is on the sticker?

If it doesn't matter, what color should I paint it? Should I keep it as a two tone car?

Thanks,

Keith

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on how well the job is done.

Strip it down to shell, and paint everything inside and out, jambs, under hatch, engine bay, etc etc.....then no.

Spray only the outside, and then see a completely different color under the hood, inside the doors, or anywhere else not considered the exterior of the car....then yes.

I get it with stripping the car down...

I have no problems with the under the hood, trunk, etc... but how about under the car itself? like floorboards and whatnot.

My wife wants me to paint it black. I know the downfalls of painting it black. There is also the you better find a good body shop to paint it black because it will show every flaw.

The other problem outside of this is that my neighbor also has an 86 that is black. I don't want a twin. :)

I would like a darker color, and the darker you get the more flaws are shown...

What would be a good color for it?

I have no problems with the under the hood, trunk, etc... but how about under the car itself? like floorboards and whatnot.

My wife wants me to paint it black. I know the downfalls of painting it black. There is also the you better find a good body shop to paint it black because it will show every flaw.

The other problem outside of this is that my neighbor also has an 86 that is black. I don't want a twin. :)

I would like a darker color, and the darker you get the more flaws are shown...

What would be a good color for it?

Well, perhaps i meant to say you don't need to do under the carpet, or under the car to be done well.

My point is if you have a bright red car, but open the hood and see a white engine bay...then that could hurt the value. Basically if you open a trunk, door or hood...you want to see all the same color.