Does my belt have enough tension?

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
I finally got my new balancer on my 95 gt, and I'm not sure if the belt has enough tension on it. I adjusted the tensioner as much as I can with my hand by pushing it down and tightening the nut. On the water pump pulley, I can slide the belt a little bit back and forth but it does have a slight drag, as shown in the pic. Is this ok? Or does my belt need a little more tension?

2uylk7t.jpg

2uqiyw2.jpg

2nhojz9.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I finally got my new balancer on my 95 gt, and I'm not sure if the belt has enough tension on it. I adjusted the tensioner as much as I can with my hand by pushing it down and tightening the nut. On the water pump pulley, I can slide the belt a little bit back and forth but it does have a slight drag, as shown in the pic. Is this ok? Or does my belt need a little more tension?

2nhojz9.jpg

I'm missing something here. The belt is automatically adjusted by the belt tensioner and does not require any adjustments. There is a mark on the tensioner to indicate if the belt is within the tensioner limits. Did you change any pulleys such that a different size belt is needed?

The tensioner is an adjustable one, The car came like this when I bought it. I wish I can go with a regular tensioner but I'm not sure if I can because the car is supercharged. In the first pic the tensioner bolt in front of the pulley needs to be loose to adjust the tension. I push the tensioner down as much as I can then I tighten the bolt. Getting the proper tension on this will be a pain in the butt. I will buy a shorter belt and see if that helps. Do you think I can go with a normal auto belt tensioner?

The tensioner is an adjustable one, The car came like this when I bought it. I wish I can go with a regular tensioner but I'm not sure if I can because the car is supercharged. In the first pic the tensioner bolt in front of the pulley needs to be loose to adjust the tension. I push the tensioner down as much as I can then I tighten the bolt. Getting the proper tension on this will be a pain in the butt. I will buy a shorter belt and see if that helps. Do you think I can go with a normal auto belt tensioner?

I have a KB and the stock tensioner. The idler pulley was removed though.