Does taking out the air silencer help anything

• Sponsors (?)

Not really, you might pick up 1 or 2 horsepower if you have a K&N filter or cold air intake, but you won't feel any difference. I have cold air intake, throttle body spacer, & dual Flowmaster exhaust, and it feels only slightly quicker. With the 94-98 V6 engines, if you want really noticable power, you'll have to move beyond the easy basics. I will as soon as my wallet lets me.

If you have the $$ for dual exhaust, I'd really recommend the Flowmaster kit for the V6. It won't make it a GT killer, but it looks a lot better, improves the fuel economy a bit, and best of all is the sound. They get louder with more miles. Here's my youtube video if you want to hear it. (Play it loud!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVb41HQMek

...and now that I look in your garage, I see you already have Flowmasters! :D oops.. well then you already know what I'm talking about

Grassroots motorsports (one of the best car magazines out there) usually have a number of project cars from a pretty broad spectrum. Like '71 Saab rally cars, miata track cars, fox body road racers, porsche 914 daily driver, haybusa based tube frame locust, etc.

Anyways, they usually have a dyno-tested step by step chart of increases or decreases in hp and torque for each modification. Whats interesting is about 25% of the time it seems removing the air silencer slightly decreases power (like half a horsepower) and the other times the increase is pretty ignorable like 1hp or so. Taking it out or leaving it in isn't going to make a huge difference, but some people can't sleep at night knowing an extra (free) pony is sitting in there engine.