Fox Does this sound like a bad cv axle/joint?

DroptopFab916

May 9, 2019
Elk Grove
I was driving and I noticed I heard a loud popping noise coming from the front driver’s side area of my car and it’s been getting worse ,louder, more frequent over the past few days, when I was reversing out my driveway and turning it would make a loud grinding noise. It does it while going straight I can hear it popping/clunking. The other day it made like a light squeaky noise especially going over a bump or uneven path

• Sponsors (?)

Well, these cars are RWD so you won't have a CV axle in your front wheel.

Most likely a bad balljoint bushing or even bad brake/wheel bearings. You really should have it looked at because if could fail at any time and leave you with a wheel coming off the car. I would not recommend driving until you can have someone take a look at it

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Look at your ball joints so you don’t end up like me
92364ED4-C6D3-4346-B597-F59891009258.png

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I was driving and I noticed I heard a loud popping noise coming from the front driver’s side area of my car and it’s been getting worse ,louder, more frequent over the past few days, when I was reversing out my driveway and turning it would make a loud grinding noise. It does it while going straight I can hear it popping/clunking. The other day it made like a light squeaky noise especially going over a bump or uneven path
Is this on a Mustang? It really helps to post the year, model and engine and transmission when asking tech questions. If it’s a Probe, the CV joint is suspect.
As Mustang5L5 said, get it checked out before it looses a wheel.
You can jack up that wheel and see if it spins smoothly, if there is play in the wheel or suspension. It would be good to do that before slowly driving to a shop.
I recently had an inner tie rod go bad on a reman rack that sounded awful. As quickly as it went bad and as loose as it was, I’m lucky it stayed pointed in the right general direction.
Don’t let this get worse.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say front wheel bearings/ball joints or U joints but honestly these cars are like 30 years old and you didn't mention miles so some suspension rebuilding/rep!acement is in order.
Hmm that’s interesting because I replaced my whole front suspension pretty much when I first got the car 3 years ago. I do remember a shop saying I had wheel bearings that we’re having issues a awhile ago so maybe it got worse

Most likely a bad balljoint bushing or even bad brake/wheel bearings. You really should have it looked at because if could fail at any time and leave you with a wheel coming off the car. I would not recommend driving until you can have someone take a look at it
Yeah I have a feeling it could also be the wheel bearings as I was recommended to replace them earlier this year. I already redid the front suspension when I first bought the car

Thanks for clarifying, probably my wheel bearings because I was told to replace them before. Yeah im taking it to a shop tomorrow to have it looked at

Is this on a Mustang? It really helps to post the year, model and engine and transmission when asking tech questions. If it’s a Probe, the CV joint is suspect.
As Mustang5L5 said, get it checked out before it looses a wheel.
You can jack up that wheel and see if it spins smoothly, if there is play in the wheel or suspension. It would be good to do that before slowly driving to a shop.
I recently had an inner tie rod go bad on a reman rack that sounded awful. As quickly as it went bad and as loose as it was, I’m lucky it stayed pointed in the right general direction.
Don’t let this get worse.
93 5.0 convertible, original AOD transmission I believe it’s called. Yeah I’m taking it to a shop tomorrow