Doing a speech on why domestic are superior to imports

95tealGT

Jan 5, 2003
Altoona, PA
Fellas, I'm doing a speech about why domestic cars are better than imports. It's easy to do the 60's era when domestic muscle cars ruled the road. I need some solid information and statistics showing how domestics are still superior today. I'm trying to persuade the class so I need as much backed up information as possible.

You guys know any websites with solid, proven information?

• Sponsors (?)

Are talking about strictly performance cars, or all cars including regular passenger cars. If you're including passenger cars have fun trying to convince people that domestics are better than imports. Look at Ford and GM's sales; especially GM's market share decline since the 60's. IMO you can't beat Toyota and Honda as far reliability and superior manufacturing. Toyota's manufacturing process is staple in the logistics field and many companies strive to come even close to their level. Good luck though...I'd try to keep it strictly performance cars.

I don't think the "Domestics are more superior to Imports" title even holds water. Its not even an opinion. Toyota will become the #1 auto maker in the World in a few months. GM will take a backseat. Switch the title around and it will make sense.

Now if your strictly talking performance from the 60's until now then that's different.

it is all in your angle.. I would go at it from a standpoint of options. 4,6,8,10 gas cylinders or diesel for domestics vs nada for imports...

heck jsut bring in a videotape of a burnout with the v8 sound...

95tealGT said:
I need some solid information and statistics showing how domestics are still superior today. I'm trying to persuade the class so I need as much backed up information as possible.
Good luck. Unless it's a class of Union Auto Workers, it ain't gonna work.
95tealGT said:
You guys know any websites with solid, proven information?
Won't find any...

Joe

YOU SHOULD DO IT FROM A PERFORMANCE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK ASPECT. THEN YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET SOMEWHERE. THERE ARENT MANY IF ANY IMPORTS THAT PUT 460 HORSE TO THE WHEELS WHEN YOU ONLY SPEND $5000 (NOT REALLY SURE IF HE HAS THAT MUCH IN IT) AND NO POWER ADDER. (2001 SS CAMARO, 383 LS1, AFR HEADS, FAST COMPOSITE INTAKE, DYNO TUNE) HE ALSO ONLY PAID 9900 FOR THE CAR IN GREAT SHAPE, HIGH MILES THOUGH.

First you need to define your message. Meaning, what are you going to consider domestics? Is a BMW sportute made here domestic? What about a Toyota? And what about a DaimlerChrysler car made here, or made abroad?

Start by narrowing your scope, because the concept of a domestic car is now meaningless. Seriously.

Then focus on aspects where the "domestic" (however you define that term) shines. Is it value? Aggressive pricing and marketing? Options? Availability of parts and service?

My suggestion is that you turn the assignment on its head and focus on the first part. You could spend at least an hour tracing the moving concept of what a domestic car is. Make it a metaphysical thing.

I think its something you need to research better and then come to a topic instead of starting with that assumption/topic and trying to find info to support your argument. You can't successfully debate a topic unless you have a solid idea of all the pros and cons and have rebuttals for the cons when they are undoubtedly brought up.

To me, it is very difficult to ascertain what is an "import" and what is domestic. Is the Focus built in Mexico domestic while the Toyota Exterra built in Smyrna, TN an import? It is the "foreign" auto makers who have been investing heavily in America, creating good paying blue collar jobs, training our workforce, adding infastructure, etc. Look at some of the towns/cities that used to be huge American auto production areas that are now reduced to near ghost towns with their population gravitating towards a majority of below the poverty line Americans.

Don't allow the dumb teen with the sideways cap and big gold chain driving a Civic with a fart can become your model of what "imports" stand for.

I agree with Joe and I work in a "very" agressive Union city and here all kinds of issues about imports........and there is a Honda factory in lower Ohio......If I only had the money to buy one car for ten years use for daily driving and it had to be a reliable car then I would be in the market for a Toyota or Honda.......I love my American muscle and fortunately am not in that situation........but you can always have a audio clip of rice vs. meat....lol good luck with the project though...

compare aftermarket to aftermarket.

"The Pursuit of Speed"
1. starting power/drag time of top-ofthe-line Civic vs. top-ofthe-line mustang
2. Mod for mod power increase. slap on a turbo and compare HP
3. total price of car after it reaches a certain HP goal, like 400hp
4. finish with a picture of a mustang up on two wheels