Double Din in Console?

liquid_02

Sep 10, 2006
Hi, I've got a 92 GT, looking to put a factory 6-disc changer radio from a newer ford, let's say a 2003 Mustang. Was wondering if it will fit in the console. Well I know it'll fit, issue being will it hit the tunnel? Has anybody heard of a double din stereo being installed without moving the heater controls down below it and moving the radio up. An no, cause I know somebody will suggest it, an aftermarket deck is not an option, I don't like aftermarket.

• Sponsors (?)

Why dont you like aftermarket? you get better quality and sound out of it. I would personally move the heater controls down and put the dd above it just because of the shifter getting in the way. I know a friend who has a double din in the bottom like you want and the only problem is the display is hard to see because it isnt faced up at you, its almost at a little bit of a downward angle. With a stock radio i dont think that would be much of a problem though. You can just cut out a regular kit to make it fit.

i will be doing the same with the factory radio out of my 2001 F150. Not sure about the tunnel, honestly, I didn't even think about it until reading the post.

i went crazy with the components in my truck, and in an environment that is fairly quiet and can sound decent, I will always advocate going aftermarket for sound quality and output, but in a weekend car like mine, athestics are more important to me as it will never be able to sound good over the motor and exhaust.

#1, you need to make sure that the radio you are using has an internal amp. to be sure, you need to get a reverse harness and test the speaker outputs.

#2, factory radios are very expensive

Well I don't like the look of aftermarket for one, and it's a restoration car, don't want to drill the holes to put in an aftermarket deck. That's why I want the factory ford radio out of a newer ford. This is also why I don't want to move the heater controls, I'm not drilling or cutting anything. What kind of double din did your friend put in? an aftermarket one? or is it an OEM one?

i will be doing the same with the factory radio out of my 2001 F150. Not sure about the tunnel, honestly, I didn't even think about it until reading the post.

i went crazy with the components in my truck, and in an environment that is fairly quiet and can sound decent, I will always advocate going aftermarket for sound quality and output, but in a weekend car like mine, athestics are more important to me as it will never be able to sound good over the motor and exhaust.

#1, you need to make sure that the radio you are using has an internal amp. to be sure, you need to get a reverse harness and test the speaker outputs.

#2, factory radios are very expensive

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing. If your F150 had the 6disc changer, that's the one i'm putting in, the mustangs were actually slightly different (the plastic face has a seam on it that won't work with my car) I know all about the internal amp and all that. I just want to know if it will fit, the radio is 7inches long, factory... about.. 5 maybe, and then this one's about an inch lower wich I think will hit the tunnel, the bracket I'm not worried about, I can cut that little bracket, I have about 10 spares of those brackets that hold the center console.

You've got the same mind-set as me, my daily driver has the stereo, then this one is all clean and nice

He put in an aftermarket one and used one of the kits that screw in. He just cut it to fit the double din and made some metal brackets that went from the radio to the back side of the dashboard. They do make another kit that doesnt screw in all the corners, i have seen it but never used it so i dont know how adaptable it would be to cut and put a double din radio in.

He put in an aftermarket one and used one of the kits that screw in. He just cut it to fit the double din and made some metal brackets that went from the radio to the back side of the dashboard. They do make another kit that doesnt screw in all the corners, i have seen it but never used it so i dont know how adaptable it would be to cut and put a double din radio in.

ill look it up at work, i think you can get it through circuit city. Ill get the part number for it tomorrow and post it when i get home. You will still need to customize this kit, it is made for a single din and has a pocket on the bottom, but it could probably still be customized to fit.

The thing with the 1.5 din radios is that they don't mount like a single din radio. The single dins slide into a sleeve and lock in.

The 1.5 din radios (6-disk Mach 460) has a metal frame around it. It mounts with two screws on the bottom. You just screw the radio into the study radio support frame and that's it.

So the biggest problem is how to mount it. You prob could fab up an L- bracket that bolts to the trans tunnel and then you screw the radio to this bracket. Then you can just take a blank peice of plastic, cut out the slot for the HU and "frame" the radio.

You'll have to do some thinking about it

Damn, do you remember if he had to modify the tunnel or anything? I googled it and can find one on corral... but the pictures are all dead, and that's all that came up :\

No, it fit. He mounted the radio as high as possible in the radio slot and he had room underneath.

It's a 1.5 din unit...not double din

Well it's the same radio im looking at, except out of a different vehicle, f150 for instance. this one (out of an f150):

http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/8c/d1/a7d2_1.JPG

doesn't have the tabs or anything.

They're 1.5? not double?

I think the clips and everything would hold it in place, and I can put the plastic bracking for the guide on the top with a few modifications. thne I'll have about a 1/2" gap at the bottom according to the measurements I recieved from a seller, which I can just glue a piece of plastic to the back of the faceplate to cover

I have a 2002 F-250 and was eyeing up the radio for my stang as well. The factory single and 6 disc cd's have internel amps in them. I like the nice big buttons to play with..getting old, small buttons take to much time to use with..never thought I would say that. Lol

The Mach 460 in the Mustang has external amps. There are three of them under my rear speakers in the trunk...pretty big.

I don't think the 6-disk in other Fords is the same. It's a lesser wattage, something like 200 watts. Same head unit, but relys on it's own internal amps.

So i think a Mustang Mach 460 might be tough to install unless you do the external amps as well. I also think it uses a weird ohm rating for the 460's speakers.