Double Roller Timing Chain For 302 Non HO

Kanesrage

Jan 14, 2004
Ok i bought a double roller timing chain for a 302 HO for a car i was told had a HO engine. Later I found out the previous owner had droped a rebuilt 302 non HO in it in '97. Can I use this double roller timing chain on a non HO?

• Sponsors (?)

Kanesrage said:
Ok i bought a double roller timing chain for a 302 HO for a car i was told had a HO engine. Later I found out the previous owner had droped a rebuilt 302 non HO in it in '97. Can I use this double roller timing chain on a non HO?

It will sort of maybe fit, but there are some things to be aware of.

I have Ford SVO timing sets on both of my carbed 302's.

On is a 68 block with a 79 timing cover, the other is a 79 block with an 80 timing cover.

You need the correct gears, chain, cam dowel, and mechanical fuel pump drive eccentric. Older 302's, say in the mid 70s, used a one piece fuel pump drive. Somewhere in 78 or so, they changed to a two piece one. The old style uses a cam dowel that sticks all the way throught the fuel pump drive, and the two piece ones have a shorter dowel and a tab on the back of the inner pump drive. ( Something like that, this is from memory..)

I used an SVO cast gear double roller timing set, and the Ford one piece fuel pump eccentric, purchased separately, from Holcomb, and it works fine.

Comp cams included both the long and short dowels with my cam.

You could call any of these companies and check if you need to.

The efi cars don't have the fuel pump drive, and I am not sure which dowel goes there.

As long as you match the correct cam dowel for the gear, and fuel pump drive, or lack thereof, any timing set will fit nearly any engine.

If you go back into the 60's there are some narrower chains, and different depth cam gears, etc, and maybe skinny timing covers, where a current double roller chain would hit the cover.