Driveline Shimmy

88CougarMan

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2000
Flower Mound, TX
Hello guys, I have an issue that has me stumped. I recently started a new job downtown and had to travel more highways with the mustang. I noticed a driveline shimmy or vibration around 65mph in 4th gear, under load, TC locked and slight throttle. It just shook my car like my driveshaft was slightly off balance... not violently. When I let off the throttle the shimmy goes away. Give it throttle, it's back.. and so on.

I took it to my trusted shop and they looked it over. They came back and said the rear-end is in need of rebuilding, citing that my pinion seal was shot, as was my carrier bearing. Clutch packs were completely worn out, pinion was loose, spider gears had seen better days. Also my U-joints were bad. I was thinking, great, that sounds like it was the culprit, I mean who wouldn't think that?

Well, me being me, I opted for the 31 spline cobra T-lok/axle setup. I also opted for a new set of 3.55's over the 3.73's to try and save some gas mileage.

Got it back yesterday, get on the highway this morning and the shimmy is still there, but it's not at about 70-75mph and it feels just like a rear tire is heavily out of balance. You feel it in the seat and throughout the car, the steering wheel is steady. And like before, let off the gas, it goes away and the car rides like a dream. Also, my SES light came on. Getting that checked tonight.

So, it's not the rear end, and its not a wheel balance issue. It only vibrates at certain speeds, but only under load(throttle).

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Transmission mount maybe?
I’m really not sure,did the shop that checked it rebuild the rear end? I’d take it back and have them go back over there work.
I’m also going to move your thread from Tech to talk-a lot more member traffic there :nice:

Transmission mount maybe?
I’m really not sure,did the shop that checked it rebuild the rear end? I’d take it back and have them go back over there work.
I’m also going to move your thread from Tech to talk-a lot more member traffic there :nice:
Thanks for the move. I'm going back to them tomorrow. On the phone they sounded a little perplexed and muttered something about pinion angle? Funny you mention transmission mount, I've read a lot of threads about highway vibration concerning the V6 Mustangs and tranny mounts.

Reactions: 1 user
I hang around a repair shop in my spare time, they do not let me work on a anything more than changing blinker fluid, car techs are like doctors, anytime a shop suggests a large repair like that I say get a second opinion, I would think that a rear end in that condition would be roaring like a lion.
Sometimes the small things, like a motor/trans mount, escape detection because they 'look ok'.
On a good note, now you have highway friendly gears and new guts in your rearend.

Got a good example of not looking for the 'little' things, lady came into the shop with a slow acceleration problem, the previous shop told her she needed to take the car to the dealer because the problem was with the computer, this after changing the throadel body, I found that the floor mat had balled up under her accelerator pedal :doh:
Simple things escape us sometimes.

Have you looked your U-joints?

Get up under there and shake and rattle the drive shaft where the U-joints are. Get the wheels in the air if possible under some GOOD jack-stands. Have a buddy rotate one of the wheels while you're under there. Take note of how the opposite wheels reacts as your buddy rotates the opposite forward.

Let us know what you see and hear.

Have you looked your U-joints?

Get up under there and shake and rattle the drive shaft where the U-joints are. Get the wheels in the air if possible under some GOOD jack-stands. Have a buddy rotate one of the wheels while you're under there. Take note of how the opposite wheels reacts as your buddy rotates the opposite forward.

Let us know what you see and hear.
U joints have been replaced.

Found the problem. Just wanted to post a fix in case other people have the same issue. It was a bad transmission mount.

Attachments

• 75A60C4E-E3CA-49C4-A2ED-8224AAB53325.jpeg
    75A60C4E-E3CA-49C4-A2ED-8224AAB53325.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: 2 users
If that happened to me here I would be contacting the BAR(Bureau of Automotive Repair) and getting some money back from that "Auto Repair Shop".