Driver side rear is lower than passenger side.

67topless

Mar 31, 2006
Raleigh, NC
My convertible has always been about 1/2 inch lower in the rear on the driver's side; now I have always attributed this to the 39 year old leaf springs. However, I swapped those out a couple of weekends ago and when I put on a rear sway bar this weekend, I noticed that it is still 1/2 an inch shorter.

My measurements have been taken from the center of the outside of the wheel-well at it's highest location. In addition, the front driver's side and passenger's sides are the same height.

Any ideas to help me track down the issue? I am stumped once again,

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

68torinogt said:
my torino was that way have you replaced any of the front end?

Not yet... but was planning on tackling that next weekend. Coil Springs - Spring Perches - Front Sway bar - Shocks

Not replacing any of the control arms yet. What I think is weird is that the front appears to be level. Both measure the same height... it is just the rear driver side that appears to be out of whack. :bang:

Here's a simple test to do. Jack the front up so the springs are not taking any weight and support it on equal height jackstands. If your rear end is still out of whack, it's not your front end doing it. Just a suggestion.

kmterrill said:
Here's a simple test to do. Jack the front up so the springs are not taking any weight and support it on equal height jackstands. If your rear end is still out of whack, it's not your front end doing it. Just a suggestion.

Sounds like a logical plan... and easy enough as well. I'll tackle that this evening.

kmterrill said:

Ok, according to this test, you can eliminate the front end. I just jacked her up and put the car on jack stands up front and the height issue is exactly the same (still off by 1/2 an inch).

:shrug:

Ok, I am hoping this turns out to be an issue of inexperience when installing my leaf springs. I just read a post from the archives:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=450099&highlight=shackle+torque

I installed my leaf springs with the car on jack stands and the tires not supporting the suspension! So I am hoping that if I loosen everthing up and take the car for a spin around the block (gingerly), alll will settle in where it is supposed to be.

Question on the shackles, are they supposed to be torqued down to anything specific - hand tight - or loose enough to where the shackles freely move?

Ok, turns out my last post was spot on. I loosened the shackles and the u-bolt nuts and took the car out for a spin. Both sides are now exactly the same height of 24 1/2 inches from the floor to the top center of the outside fender.

In addtion, I actually read my blue bible (the 1967 shop manual) and looked up the torque requirements. It's a shame that I had the information right in front of me the whole time. :mad:

Scott