• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Drivers Door Won't Lock

  • Thread starter Thread starter polaraman
  • Start date Start date Apr 1, 2015

polaraman

Member
Feb 27, 2015
46
15
18
Dublin, GA
Apr 1, 2015
#1
  • Apr 1, 2015
  • #1
Still trying to get my 89 GT Hatch road worthy and noticed that I can't lock my drivers door with switch or the key. I'm not really concerned with the switch working right now. I can fix that later. My concern is that I can't manually lock it. When I try to push down on the lock, it seems like it's binding and the rod never fully goes down in the lock position. When i try to lock it with the key from the outside, i feel that same binding. What has failed that won't allow me to lock the door?

Also, I let my passenger window down the other day and it refused to go up. After banging on the panel a few times, I was able to get the window up. what causes that?

One other thing was that when the window is fully down and i try to let it back up, it wants to go up sideways. The whole window is cocked to the front and it wants to bind on the weatherstripping i think. I can grab my hand and straighten it up and it goes up fine.
 

Onefine88

Previously 89SSC18
10 Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
1,422
796
154
Apr 1, 2015
#2
  • Apr 1, 2015
  • #2
There are plenty of potential reasons why you're having those issues. Typically those issues can be easily fixed once diagnosed.
I would get those door panels off, investigate and identify the culprit.
 

NOS1543

Member
Nov 11, 2014
78
15
18
Apr 1, 2015
#3
  • Apr 1, 2015
  • #3
That happened to me once--the door lock actuator had seized on me. It's a pretty easy job for most to do on their own.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Apr 2, 2015
#4
  • Apr 2, 2015
  • #4
Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – Adobe Reader Install for all versions

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/attachments/door-lock-actuator-fix-pdf.88290/

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $7. Fix one side for $20, do both sides for only $28. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

By the way, i am still using the same $4 actuators I bought in 2002 and this is the second Mustang I have installed them in! Beat that with your fancy replacements!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Power door lock motor Question
  • NYFox
  • Mar 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
318
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 17, 2026
NYFox
N
Electrical ’86 Mustang – Power Windows/Locks Dead After Terminator X Swap
  • 5.0 Mike
  • Aug 21, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
252
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2025
5.0 Mike
S
01 GT DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK CYLINDER LINKAGE
  • Scwhitten
  • May 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
252
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 19, 2026
melo.timo
M
J
89 mustang alarm install to lock and unlock
  • jk66
  • Apr 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
197
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 10, 2026
jk66
J
Door wire harnesses 1996 GT
  • Adizzle843
  • Feb 5, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
444
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 17, 2026
Adizzle843
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?