Drivers side door will not open.

mustangfiveo198

Founding Member
May 20, 2002
145
3
19
Driving my STANG
I got a problem, my drivers side door will not open. The automatic unlock/lock don't work, the key don't work or nothing. I know I need to get inside the door panel to see what is going on. But how do I get in there if I can't get the door open??????? I am looking for ANY ideas.
Thanks alot.:shrug:
 
i don't know much about automatic door locks, but you could try to remove the door panel from the inside, or pull it back so you can tug on something to open it..just crawl in through the passenger side or rear hatch and give it a shot, to find screws check the passenger door for their locations

~Mark~
 
mustang78,
I have been goin gin pass. door and messing with drivers door. Can't get to screws. I don't want to pull back the panel and break it though. I am going to try a slim jim or something. I am still looking for more ideas.
Thanks alot.
 
Slim jim probably would work. You can also try a little hook on the underside of the lock knob and pull up that way.... If the lock is stuck (frozen) in the down position you will need JRickhers write up on the actuator replacement.
 
Sounds like your door lock actuator is frozen. The write-up mentioned above is good but might take you some time. Easiest solution is to replace it. It's about $50 and should be available at most parts stores.

To open your door, I would think you should be able to open it using the handle inside. If you can get through pass side or through hatch.

Good luck.
 
The only problem with the frozen actuator is the lock rod will be very hard to pull up enough to free the door. That is why I sugguested a hook.

Let us know how it goes. If you can't get it, I am sure we can come up with something for you to help
 
I had a passenger side door do that once. I was still able to remove the door panel with the door closed. It is not easy and it is even harder if you have never taken one of these off before. Thats why now when an actuator starts screwing around, I replace it asap. If you have never removed the door panel, Do it on your passenger side so that you know what fasteners, etc there are before prying and pulling the wrong thing.

Good Luck!!
 
I just had this happen. I finally got the door to open by simultaneously pulling up on the door look and working the inside door handle. Eventually it came open. The problem was of course a frozen door lock actuator. Those damn things are irritating.
 
I can pull the handle on the inside when the door is locked and when I pull it it unlocks......maby power lock doors are different but mine are manual and thats how I unlock the passenger side for a passenger when they are about to get in.
 
When the door lock actuator is frozen, it means the door is essentially sealed shut. Some prying on the lock rod is then required to get the door free...

Manual locks operate like an actuator that is not frozen in the down position.
 
Thanks for ALL the replies. I have tried using both handles and no luck, but when I get home from work I will try messing with them both at the same time. I will then try and use a slim jim/hook to get inside. My last resort would be to take the panel off while the door is closed. That doesn't sound like fun. But I really appreciate the ideas and I will kepp you informed of my progress.
Thanks again!
 
The ddor lock actuator is frozen.so there for the unlock rod that you see on the inside panel with the lock knob on it is frozen to.best thing i can tell you to do.go to autozone or someplace like that and pick up a tall set of door lock knobs so they sit like an inch inch and a half above the panel.take the factorys off set those aside screw the cheesy lookin ones all the way on.grap the knob with pliers and pull up and reach in at the same time and pull the inside handle.it will open.once open replace actuator and get rid of cheesy knob.
 
Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/r/lrichker/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

actuator_install_in_door.jpg
 
Finally fixed the actautor. Pretty easy repair. The locks were perfect now............
another problem now...........my back rear windows don't work..........will start a new thread about that later.
thanks for all the help with the actuators.
:SNSign: