drum to disc v8 65 brake booster question

i know many people with old fist gen mustangs have used several different types of dual cylinder master cylinders and brake boosters, but im wondering i know a 74 maverick disc drum cylinder will work nice on my car and its a good price but im wondering will a brake booster from a mav fit as well on our cars ive hurd from many people it does same mounting for pedal and everything but i thought id ask yall here thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There has been alot of talk about correct function of a power brake system in a 65-6 Mustang. Low pedal is a major issue from any supplier. If you still have the leg, I would suggest staying with a manual conversion. Get a Dorman master cylinder with the big and small bowl.DORMAN Part # M71248 This is the only one I have found that works the best and provides you with a solid pedal. Slow bench bleeding is key for a good pedal. Carful not to push the piston in to far while bleeding. No more than an inch.

Disc and drum require different master cylinder. Get the one you need.

For 65-66, I prefer the OEM type booster. However, there is insufficient clearance between that unit and the shock tower for a 60's style iron cylinder. Master Power has an aftermarket master that will clear, however.

the problem with the early stangs is that they were not originally designed with power brakes in mind. they were in fact an add on and as such needed the adapter to change the pedal ratio. you do have alternatives though;

mustang steve has a kit that will allow you to change the pedal ratio so you can use a later ford power booster

you can use the adapter that is available from a number of sources, but understand you are limited as to what master cylinders you can use

one other option is to swap to a hydroboost system, you still have to change the pedal ratio though.

i know many people with old fist gen mustangs have used several different types of dual cylinder master cylinders and brake boosters, but im wondering i know a 74 maverick disc drum cylinder will work nice on my car and its a good price but im wondering will a brake booster from a mav fit as well on our cars ive hurd from many people it does same mounting for pedal and everything but i thought id ask yall here thanks
The wilwood with 7/8" bore feels just like power brakes I have it with granada 11 inch front discs and it stops on a dime with a proportioning adjustable valve.

I don't like that type. It maintains the stock manual pedal leverage, which often results in very sensitive brakes. This is the one I like-

P1012750_large.JPG