DTC 305, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 help

bigc2330

Nov 13, 2009
This morning I decided to remove my air silencer off the intake.
Shorty after letting it idle the motor started hesitating and codes came up p0305, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358.....
Surely just removing the air silencer would not do this.
Has anybody ever had all these codes pop up at the same time?

2000 GT -5- speed.

• Sponsors (?)

bigc2330:

SCP is the computer-to-computer communication link. I would look for a blown fuse (PCM?) and/or a disconnected connector under the hood.

Those other codes (305, 354, 355, etc.) are all misfire codes - every cylinder is not firing or showing a misfire. This must be due to a disconnection somewhere. I don't know the coil-on-plug (COP) harness but follow each COP connection back to the main harness and see if something is dangling where it should be dangling.

Here's a link for the EEC codes (and other nifty tech threads):

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/583369-4-6-tech-important-threads-newbies-here-first.html

HTH,

Chris

Thanks.
After erasing the OBD II codes. I let it run for awhile and the only ones that came back up where p0354, 355, 358.
I tried switching cylinder 1 COP with cylinder 5 to see if the codes would swap with the COP, but it didnt.
Would my crankshaft position sensor throw these codes?
Also when my car was idling, I noticed a strong smell of gas out of the exaust and wierd idle noise out of pipes.
The car now misses at idle.

P035x generally points to problems in the primary wiring of the coils.

Since you've got so many involved, start looking a the main wiring harness around the engine. Look for insulation damage and/or shorts, fraying, broken wires etc.

Has the engine ever been out of the car or has any major work been done that might have allowed wiring harnesses to be incorrectly moved, bumped, abraded or otherwise damaged?

No the motor has never been removed.
The car has 80,000 miles on it. I have been the owner for past 8 yrs.
I have noticed that there is either water or fuel coming out of the tail pipes.
Since I have noticed that I put some berrymens B12 in the tank to try help.
I noticed that it is ideling a little better now, but still not as strong as it used to be. Since I haved cleared the codes again, only one has popped up p0357. I filled up the gas tank 2 days ago and I drove about 80 miles yesterday and it ran fine. Is it possible that i got crappy gas and it is just now affecting the car?

Remove a couple of the spark-plugs and result back to the your chiltons guide. You can tell if you have had heavy misfiring just by looking at your plugs. Might be a good time to change the sparkplugs and put some dielectric grease on the coils, at least to rule out them.
Does sound to me like you got a bad batch of "petro." I'm against adding additives to the gasoline b/c those things tend to foul plugs(ashing over) causing a misfiring issue.
Additives add to the problems in my honest opinion.
It may be possible your car has detected something different with the air quality.

COP 4, 5, 6, and 8 have the same engine harness connector (C1045) in common.

COP 1,2, and 3 pass through connector C133.

COP 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are DOWNSTREAM of splice S170.

All 8 injectors pass through C133.

To have so many cylinders start to have the SAME problem after repair work, points to a common root event. I'm with Trinty on this one. My vote is either a connector not seated correctly or the engine harness has been damaged.

Tell us about everything that had to be disconnected to do the "mod". Did anything happen during the work? Screw driver slip and hit the wiring harness? Did you have to pull on the harness to get something out of the way? Any evidence of water or rodent damage?

No rodent or water damage.
The only part of the harness that I disconnected was the MAF sensor and air temp sensor. I have made sure that they are connected firmly.
The only thing that I did was remove the air silencer and put everything back together. I dumped the air silencer in my apt trash dumpster already. But i dont thing the air silencer has anything to do with this problem. I cant find any vacuum leaks.
The car hesitates at low rpm's, but seams fine at higher rpm's.
The only scanner that I have is an Actron that I bought from autozone a couple years back.

I went thru and checked ever sparks plug and they all looked good, so i put fresh dielectric grease on the plugs and every electrical connector under the hood. i jiggled every wire harness. I did all of this sunday night then called it a night.
Monday moring, the car ran great.
I just wanted to thank everybody that responded and left me a lot of information that i can use in the future if any other problems occur.