Duraspark help!..everywhere is different .. i need an expert

tnardo

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2000
Norwalk, Ohio
im wiring up my duraspark...it's out of an 85 gt along with the distributor. everywhere i look to figure out where wires go i seem to get a different answer.. so let me tell you what i see and what ive done so far
I know what to do with the 4 wires that come out 3 goto the dist and the green goes to the coil neg. terminal
comming out of the module there is a single red wire and a single white wire
the go into a connector when connected with the other connector the white wire comes out as two red wires and the red wire now comes out as a white wire.

where do the two red wires go
where does the white wire go
now remember the wires im talking about come out of the connector not the module.

what i did was run one of the red wires to
---Wire #16 (red/light green - 16 Ga) to the ignition trigger/turn-on lead
on the driver side harness of my 89 notch
i ran the other red to the s terminal on the selanoid ( i think i need to run it to the I terminal though)

i ran the white wire to the positive terminal on the coil

heres a crappy drawing
http://groups.msn.com/BlackStang/fabpanel.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=650

• Sponsors (?)

maybe i can answer my own question tell me if im right
one of the two red wires goes to the i terminal on the starter relay
the other red goes to the netural saftey swith
white wire goes to the positive side of the coil

now how do i hookup to the nuteral safty, do i have to

alsowhere does the module get power from
do have to run a hot in run wire the positive side of the coil also

Ahhhh.. The famous duraspark. lol. I hated that damn thing.. I say don't even **** with it and put an MSD in. I had so many problems with modules going out it's not even funny... If you're still set on it, here's my diagram...

DuraSpar.jpg

Hope this helped.

Nick

Why would you wanna do that? Just an ignition on to the power side of the coil is fine. As far as the neutral safty switch, I take it you have an auto. If you wanna wire it, I would just wire it to interupt the signal to the starter relay so it won't crank unless in park or neutral.

Nick

too broke for an msd right now
i like the diagram it s just that the wires switching from red to white and white to red are screwing me up....your red and white are just the wires comming directly out of the module...correct?

The Duraspark is the easiest and best oem ignition out there in my experience. Simple, effective, cheap to install and easy to fix.

Wires. Orange and purple are the signal wires from the dist pickup coil to the box. The black wire is the ground to the dist. The green wire is the control wire that goes from the coil - to the box, and is the one that turns the coil on and off.

You need a red wire to the coil plus direct from the car ignition switch, that can be powered 12 v via start and though a ballast resistor in run.

The red and white are power to the box, red is for the start position and white is for run,( this is from memory, you should check that one)

You can use either the two connector or three connector version of the box, leaving the third connector unhooked if you have that box. oem 4, 6 or 8 cylinder boxes are interchangeable. Jeep stuff works fine too.

Best is a box with a blue strain relief where the wires exit the box.