Duraspark Install, Dies In Run

JeffH13

Jan 7, 2014
SoCal
I've been reading for years, first post here.
Hope someone has seen this or just knows the answer.....

I picked up a Duraspark box and coil at my local pick-a-part, plus a rebuilt distributor at local auto parts. I managed to get all the wiring harness to the coil and to the distributor, only have the red and white to hook up.
I hooked the white to the S terminal on the solenoid.
I hooked the red to a spare connection under the dash which is powered with key in run position.

Now I can start it but as soon as I let off the key it dies.
I've seen some seemingly conflicting information regarding where the wires are hooked up, I used this description:
Duraspark II -- The Ford V-8 Engine Workshop

In this writeup, it states the following:
Only one new connection is required. The module receives its power through the red wire in the 2-pin connector. This must come from the key switch terminal that is "hot in start or run". If your car has an idle positioner solenoid, the wire powering that may be used to power the module.

That's why I hooked my wires up as I noted.

Right now this is my only vehicle as the Ranger finally succumbed to the dreaded SOHC timing chain problem.

---
JeffH

• Sponsors (?)

I got it running after a few attempts today. While standing there pondering the wires, I noticed that in the 2-wire plug from the Duraspark box the red and white get reversed! So now I hooked the red to the S terminal and the white to the brown wire plug which was removed from the I terminal.

Unfortunately, now I don't have a tach. It worked before all this...
It seemed to be working when the engine was cranking while I was trying to figure out the wiring. I had the wire on the tach lead of the coil, I also tried it on the + side but no luck there either.

Attachments

• IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 163