Duraspark with GM ignition module. What coil ? I burned up one already...

danford1

Sep 26, 2006
I have a Duraspark distributor hooked to a GM ignition module. I know this set up requires a specific coil. What coil works? I bought a generic chrome coil from Jeg's and it didn't last long. It would idle for about 10 minutes then die. I tried another new Delco 1906 module and it was the same. Changed carbs, same thing. Put in the stock points coil and it ran good. Swaped back to the Jeg's coil, problem came back. I put the stock Ford coil circa 1971 and it ran good.
I let it idle for about 1/2 hour while I was charging the A/C, tracing heater A/C cable problems etc and it died again. The stock Ford points coil was hot. After it cooled down, it ran again.
I know I need a coil. Which coil should I get that will last?
I do not have an ignition resistor nor do I have an resistance wire going to the module.
Please let me know what coil you guys use that doesn't burn out or get hot and die.
Thanks.
Danford1

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you might have another problem causing the coils to burn out. I've used stock EFI coils as well as your typical oil filled carb style coil. The stock replacement EFI coils worked very well for me, in fact that's what was on my car when i dynoed it last....parts store module and parts store coil.

i used a stock coil from a 90 f350 with the dura spark ignition, in fact the same coil is still running with the 5.o ho with the fuel injection syst. look up "dirt cheap ingnition", there is a good write-up, there are others if you look for it. the only difference is some of the other sites use a relay to power-up the module.