Dyno Woes

aldeswarii

Jul 7, 2004
Ok, so my Dad went and got the Mustang dynoed at a place called Mustang Dynamometer, without me. :notnice: Anyway, when she put in the car's weight, my Dad told her 2200 ( I wish :D ) instead of about 3200. So my question to you guys is, can you estimate what the real HP and torque would be with 3200 lbs? Here are the numbers....

Max HP: 142.4 @ 4000 RPM
Max Torque 199.2 @ 3500 RPM

Someone there estimated that it was about 250-260 torque and 180-190 HP at the flywheel, if it helps.

Also, if it helps, are my engine specs.

302 .030 over
Edelbrock Performer Kit ( 600 CFM Carb, Intake, R/V Cam, Lifters )
Rebuilt C4

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

aldeswarii said:
Ok, so my Dad went and got the Mustang dynoed at a place called Mustang Dynamometer, without me. :notnice: Anyway, when she put in the car's weight, my Dad told her 2200 ( I wish :D ) instead of about 3200. So my question to you guys is, can you estimate what the real HP and torque would be with 3200 lbs? Here are the numbers....

Max HP: 142.4 @ 4000 RPM
Max Torque 199.2 @ 3500 RPM

Someone there estimated that it was about 250-260 torque and 180-190 HP at the flywheel, if it helps.

Also, if it helps, are my engine specs.

302 .030 over
Edelbrock Performer Kit ( 600 CFM Carb, Intake, R/V Cam, Lifters )
Rebuilt C4

Thanks

the only way to know your bhp for sure is to pull your motor and run it on an engine dyno. There are some general rules of thumb about power loss thorugh the drive train depending on what kind of transmission you have. These are not hard and fast but are reasonably accurate "guestimations." I would guess 15-18% for a manual, 20% for a C4, and 25-30% for a C6/AOD. But the principle function of the dyno is not for telling you how much HP your really have. Rather, it is a tuning tool to get your car in the best possible tune. Who cares if your dyno says you have 450 rwhp if your best 1/4 is at 15 seconds at 89 mph?

Look at it though - his engine is really quite close to stock. RV cams arent made for power, the performer manifold is not much better than stock, and the jetting/timing might not be perfect so all in all I'd say its pretty much on the mark.