E-brake Issue

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I finally got the emergency brake cables installed this past week, but they just aren't holding. My first question is how tight does the adjustment nut need to be on the main cable that pulls the slack out of the other two cables? This is a '90 coupe with SN rear discs and FRPP conversion cables . I've got it tight enough now that there is no slack, but do I need to really put some tension on it?

• Sponsors (?)

It is a 2 man operation: one to pull up the handle and another to adjust the FMS brake cable adjuster.

FMS-M-2810-A_xl.jpg

If you don't have that cable, you need to get one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-2810-a on sale at Summit. $29 + shipping

See http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html for help with the emergency brake. The red words link to some very useful photos on how to modify the handle. The stock setup tends to lock up and not release properly.

Attachments

• FMS-M-2810-A_xl.jpg
    FMS-M-2810-A_xl.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I adjusted mine tight enough to the point where the pads just begin to drag. Are your rotors new? My e-brake is not very strong either. My rotors are brand new and haven't had a chance to get bedded in completely yet, so I believe that is a contributing factor for me.

I adjusted mine tight enough to the point where the pads just begin to drag. Are your rotors new? My e-brake is not very strong either. My rotors are brand new and haven't had a chance to get bedded in completely yet, so I believe that is a contributing factor for me.
No, everything is used, but in decent shape. I think I just need to tighten it up a little more then.

I had to adjust mine 3 times. The cables will stretch a bit at first.

With the car on jackstands, i would tighten the center nut up pretty tight before the rear brakes would begin to drag.

One way to check to see if they dragged was to go for a 10 min highway drive. Find a place you can coast to the end of an offramp and park and use the brakes very little and get out and touch the rotors. If they are hot/warm, they are dragging.

Reactions: 1 user