E Force Tillman Stage 1 w/Hot Rod Cams - Idle Problem

Blister55

Dec 1, 2008
I have an 09 with the above mods. Also has Kooks LT's. When I first installed the S/C in June the car ran like crap from my house to Tillman's, as the plugs I received with the kit had not been gapped, and the instructions don't mention gap specs.

Chris Rose tuned it to 461 rwhp/413 tq SAE Corrected. The engine was warm after the dyno and I drove home a happy man.

The next day it became apparent that it had an idle problem. It runs fine once off the line, cruises well. When I come to a stop however, as the idle drops it will drop to normal range, maybe 8/900, stay there for a few moments and then bounce down to 400 or so for a second. It generally will stall at that point. If it does not stall, it will stumble, come back up to idle properly for as long as I leave it, until I move again at which point the cycle repeats when I come to stop. It only has to go through that "dip" process once. It will not continue to stumble after it has occurred once, until I hit the gas again. Stop and go traffic is a nightmare.

It is most pronounced when the engine is cold, but also occurs regularly when hot. I drove it all summer and just avoided traffic/dealt with it.

Chris and Chris from Tillman's have had the car since October and are unable to find the cause. No apparent vacuum leaks, the tune has been viewed, reviewed, selected, detected, and inspected. We (Tillmans and I) ordered a Brenspeed tune and it was worse.

I have replaced the plugs and 02 sensors from the rich running in the beginning.

Another clue - the pumps need to be primed twice at start up to fire up the engine. If I turn the key once the fuel pressure will go to 6 or so. If I try to start it here it will just turn over. Cycle key again and the pressure jumps to 40 and the engine will fire right up. Something is not right fuel wise I believe, and this is connected to the idle issue, but Chris pulled the pump and all the lines and voltages look good.

Anyone had this particular gremlin?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an E-Force with DR cams. I initially had a dipping cold idle/stalling problem. Brenspeed richened the idle way up and it solved the problem. But still to this day, if I rev her a little when cold, she'll dip and stall sometimes. They also tweaked the throttle decay settings because she would take a long time to idle down when coming to a stop when warm.