• Mustang Forums
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk

E85

  • Thread starter Thread starter TravisA
  • Start date Start date Jun 3, 2017
T

TravisA

New Member
Apr 26, 2017
7
0
1
Jun 3, 2017
#1
  • Jun 3, 2017
  • #1
Is it safe to run E85 making 480 rwhp with 47lb injectors, or do the pistons and rings need to be forged?
 

I Bleed Ford Blue

5 Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
416
122
73
North Olmsted OH
Jun 3, 2017
#2
  • Jun 3, 2017
  • #2
What you need to run E-85 is alcohol safe o-rings and seals in the fuel system including the pump and injectors. And of course you need a tune, the volume of fuel needed to reach a desirable air fuel ratio is roughly 60% more than straight gasoline and the standard tune can not adjust for that much more fuel.

My 07 F150 had a 5.4 and my 13 F150 had a 5.0 and both were flex fuel or E-85 capable and neither one had forged pistons.

Only run E-85 if you need it for the 105 octane rating, it gets terrible mileage. I tried it in my 07 and my mileage went from 13 mpg to 8
 
T

TravisA

New Member
Apr 26, 2017
7
0
1
Jun 3, 2017
#3
  • Jun 3, 2017
  • #3
I Bleed Ford Blue said:
What you need to run E-85 is alcohol safe o-rings and seals in the fuel system including the pump and injectors. And of course you need a tune, the volume of fuel needed to reach a desirable air fuel ratio is roughly 60% more than straight gasoline and the standard tune can not adjust for that much more fuel.

My 07 F150 had a 5.4 and my 13 F150 had a 5.0 and both were flex fuel or E-85 capable and neither one had forged pistons.

Only run E-85 if you need it for the 105 octane rating, it gets terrible mileage. I tried it in my 07 and my mileage went from 13 mpg to 8
Click to expand...

I have my car tuned for it and I've been running E85 for about 3 days now, but yesterday I drove through a large puddle of rain and got a p0302 code (misfire in cylinder #2) and I replaced the spark plugs and swapped coils and injectors. The problem still occurred, so I don't know if it has to do with the rain or the E85 In my 2016 GT. It was running purfect up until that day it rained and I went through a large amount of overflowing water on the road.
 

0335th

Advanced Member
Apr 25, 2017
189
123
73
Texas
Jun 3, 2017
#4
  • Jun 3, 2017
  • #4
If you do an E-85 conversion, are you stuck running E-85 only, or does it make it a "Flex Fuel" vehicle?
 
T

TravisA

New Member
Apr 26, 2017
7
0
1
Jun 4, 2017
#5
  • Jun 4, 2017
  • #5
TravisA said:
I have my car tuned for it and I've been running E85 for about 3 days now, but yesterday I drove through a large puddle of rain and got a p0302 code (misfire in cylinder #2) and I replaced the spark plugs and swapped coils and injectors. The problem still occurred, so I don't know if it has to do with the rain or the E85 In my 2016 GT. It was running purfect up until that day it rained and I went through a large amount of overflowing water on the road.
Click to expand...
0335th said:
If you do an E-85 conversion, are you stuck running E-85 only, or does it make it a "Flex Fuel" vehicle?
Click to expand...

Stuck on E85, but I could drain the fuel and try to run it and see if it fixes it. Do you think driving through the large amount of water could have fried a circuit?
 

0335th

Advanced Member
Apr 25, 2017
189
123
73
Texas
Jun 4, 2017
#6
  • Jun 4, 2017
  • #6
Don't get me to lying to you. I was just wondering if you run gasoline after the E-85 conversion.


TravisA said:
Stuck on E85, but I could drain the fuel and try to run it and see if it fixes it. Do you think driving through the large amount of water could have fried a circuit?
Click to expand...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Octane on the 5.0 Coyote
  • gray owl
  • May 17, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
7
Views
369
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk May 27, 2026
Bullitt347
K
Help identifying injectors
  • KirkACola
  • Oct 10, 2025
  • 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech
Replies
1
Views
247
2010 - 2014 Specific Tech Oct 10, 2025
Noobz347
J
Switched to e85 on the 3v and now it won't run right.
  • jcowdough
  • Aug 24, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
201
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 24, 2025
Noobz347
Engine Are These rings OK?
  • PonyGTrider
  • Sep 21, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
215
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 26, 2026
PonyGTrider
My next project , a 428 build!
  • horse sence
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
  • 5 6 7
Replies
122
Views
2K
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Today at 6:04 AM
GOvert
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?