Engine Early Explorer Lower EGR Coolant Fitting

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
So I recently bought an early explorer upper and lower with the act already drilled and tapped however the egr coolant fitting hasn't been drilled and tapped. Does anyone know what thread I would need to tap it to? And would I be able to swap the fitting from my stock lower over? Sorry for making another explorer intake thread I just couldn't really find this specific bit of info.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, 3/8NPT. Stock intake fitting will swap over

096AE31A-1040-4419-A91F-A318C3941611.jpeg

Correct, also 3/8 npt.

see this thread

Correct, also 3/8 npt.

see this thread

Okay thanks. When tapping for 3/8 npt on the lower for the egr coolant port do you recommend using a 9/16 bit? I know the correct is 37/64ths but i know thats going to be a real pain to find. Also when drilling it out should i start with a smaller bit first and work my way up?

Yes, but it will be tight. You’ll want a sharp tap and use plenty of cutting fluid and clear the tap often.

the 37/64 tap would be more ideal, and you can get those at Amazon or Home Depot if you order online and ship to store.

if you have any concern with cracking the intake, go with 37/64

Yes, but it will be tight. You’ll want a sharp tap and use plenty of cutting fluid and clear the tap often.

the 37/64 tap would be more ideal, and you can get those at Amazon or Home Depot if you order online and ship to store.

if you have any concern with cracking the intake, go with 37/64
Alright I’ll go with a 37/64. I’ve watched a video on the fitting and it seems much much thinner than I originally thought so it shouldn’t be bad if I take my time and do it right. Thanks for the help

Just pay close attention to the photos in the link I provided earlier. You can see that the pipe fitting fits rather close to the intake plenum. As such I would recommend favoring a slight angle away from the plenum to allow the fitting to thread in nicely. Not much, maybe 1-2 degrees away. You can see by the pics what I mean