Early Fox body question... 79-84 era inside please.

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
I am working on an 81 Fox body.
I would like to swap to 5 lugs and 8.8".
I have heard about using Lincoln 5 lug rotors on 87up cars.
My question is:
What spindles will fit my 81 in order to use 5 lug rotors?

Can I just get the spindles* off the Fox body Lincoln?
Should I get the 87 Stang spindles and just the 5 lug rotor?

What have you guys done to your early Foxes to get reasonably priced 5 lugs and bigger brakes?
Also, will the later 8.8" rears swap between all the Foxes, or are they different model to model?

Thanks much!
Dave

*=Edit

• Sponsors (?)

Definately give that a read but here is my short version.....

You can not use the Lincoln spindles nor can you use the lincoln rototrs on your early spindles. You can swap 87+ V8 spindles and then the lincoln spindles are a bolt on. You can have center cap clearance issues with some styles of wheels so keep that in mind. Other than 5 lug, the brakes will be the same (as in no better than) as 87-93 V8 cars. A probably better option is to use 94-95 front brakes for which the detailes are on the page above.

All the 8.8 rears from the later model stangs will phisically bolt in as well as turbo coupe and Lincoln rears etc. The differences will be that some are longer and the brakes vary by application. The good news is that most of the housings are the same and just use different axles. I would probably suggest finding a lincoln rear end. It will bolt in but wont have quad shock mounts but you dont have those anyway. Get a set of the Ranger/Aerostar axles which are fox mustang length but 5 lug. You can use the lincoln 5 lug disc brakes by flipping the brackets from side to side and doing some grinding. Do a google search and there are a couple pages out there that cover exactly what needs to be done.

Hope that helps