early models 320 heads on 5.0

Tn-mustang

Apr 13, 2005
Will a set of early model 1970 302DOOE work with a late model 1990 5.0? I have aset of these heads that have been ported and have the larger 1.94/1.6 valves with 58 cc chambers that I am thinking about putting on a 5.0. The engine will be carbureted and have a hydarulic roller cam such as the b cam with roller lifters. Thanks. The reason that I ask is that I am fairly familair with the early model stuff and found a good deal on a 5.0 to put in my 66 mustang. I still want to run on pump gas.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes.. if the heads are ported then the older style heads will be fine!! The exhaust is really tight do to the EGR/Air Bump.. but if that has been removed and the larger valves... you should notice a good gain in power!!

Note here.. the 1.94 valve size is "Out of the pocket" on the stock piston!! Lay the head on the block ( well ok Bolt it on with out the head gasket and you dont need to torque it..) stick on the rocker and pushrod.. turn the engine over by hand.. check just to the outside if the valve notch in the piston.. there might be a small ding from the larger valve!! If there is just lay back the notch and your good to go.. cool?? Have fun!!

Just me..........................

Thumper

what did you do for pushrod length

did you have to custom order? I would assume that the geometry of the heads and the lnght would still be the same so that I could just use standard length 5.0 pushrods. Anyone have any experience with this? Thansk for the help.

Tn-mustang said:
did you have to custom order? I would assume that the geometry of the heads and the lnght would still be the same so that I could just use standard length 5.0 pushrods. Anyone have any experience with this? Thansk for the help.

standard lenght 5.0 rods would be to short due to the roller cam and the heads not having the pedalestal mounts. best bet is to get an adustable pushrod from summit and ck the correct length.