Easiest way to check fuel pressure?

mo_dingo

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I called around to Auto Zone / Pep Boys / Checker and no one rents fuel pressure gauges. They sell them, but they don't hook up to the schrader valve on the injector rail. Anyone know of a place that rents something like this?

So, what is the cheapest/easiest way to check my fuel pressure? I would rather utilize the schrader valve, but if there is no way to, then I will settle for disconnecting the main lines.
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

No matter what gauge you get you need the brass adapter to screw into the schrader valve and then the gauge screws into that. Go to Home Depot and I think they will carry one to fit maybe.

I forgot to subscribe to this thread :doh:

So I will still need to buy a gauge, and the fitting to adapt. I am completely clueless when it comes to gauges & such.

Which gauge should I buy? Is there a generic name or rating or something????? Will I need one that is "gasoline specific".

So I assume the gauge fitting is a 1/8 and the fuel rail fitting is a 1/16. So what is the adapter called? I need to know so I know what to ask for.

Thanks for helping the NOOB!!!
Scott

omg i spent all day looking for that lil adapter, went to napa, discount,bennet, EVEN pep boys. and i went to this hydraulic hose and fitting place but they wanted to send me to a place like 45 min from here. anywhere else to get one? how bout that link for 50resto that has them?

mo_dingo said:
So I will still need to buy a gauge, and the fitting to adapt. I am completely clueless when it comes to gauges & such.

Scott

Scott, the following is from an old archive of mine that explains in pretty good detail of what's involved installing a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve. It pertains to a BBK product, but it's gonna be the same for any gauge you install.

-Step 1
Disconnect negative battery terminal and relieve any pressure in the fuel system by carefully depressing the plunger in the fuel line Schrader valve. This valve, which is similar to a tire’s valve stem, will be located either on the fuel injector rail or on the steel hard lines directly before the fuel injector rail.

-Step 2
Once system pressure is relieved, simply unscrew the entire valve assembly from the line. This valve will no longer be needed as the pressure gauge adapter fitting will replace it.

-Step 3
Carefully thread the brass adapter fitting in until a snug fit with a wrench is achieved. The threads are self-sealing tapered, therefore, teflon tape should not be necessary. To avoid cracking the fuel line use a second wrench on the hex portion of the fuel line if applicable.

-Step 4
Simply thread in the pressure gauge and tighten snugly into the brass adapter making a note of the position of the gauge face. The tapered threads can usually be tightened slightly more to orientate the face of the gauge, however, you may never loosen the thread at all or a fuel leak is guaranteed.

-Step 5
Reconnect the battery and turn ignition key on, observe to be sure that no leaks are present and that the gauge is properly functioning. Periodic inspections should be done to ensure no fuel leaks have formed.

Good luck,
Bill

94DreamGT took the words out of my mouth... Just call summit up and they will hook you up and for fairly cheap. When i called i got my guage for like 14 dollars... It was a special they were having...

Then you can check your fuel pressure anytime you want...

If you are in a hurry... a tire guage WILL work. It will just drip a bit while you are removing the guage. You check it the same way you check tire pressure. Hold the guage on there with manual pressure, read it, then remove it and clean off the tire guage.

The fitting for the fuel rail is a 1/16 NPT. You have to unscrew the schreader valve from the fuel rail. Autometer sells just the fitting for $7.99. It takes the 1/16 NPT and adapts it up to a 1/8 NPT female. You can either find a 1/8 NPT gauge and screw it directly on and be done with it, or do what I did. I used the Autometer fitting and then found a 1/8 NPT male to a 1/4 NPT female fitting and used a glycerin filled gauge with that 1/4 NPT back I purchased from NAPA. I could not find an 1/8 NPT gauge that was glycerin filled without ordering it. I found that 1/4 NPT from the NAPA and it is glycerin filled.