Eaton Differential Case Made overseas!

99StanGT

Apr 2, 2003
Westland, MI
I recently blew my rearend in my 99 GT. I was going to replace it with an Eaton differential, but the units were backordered for at least a month to a month and a half. I went to Reider Racing in Taylor, MI. The reason they are backordered is because the casings are made overseas. The units are made in Grand Rapids, MI. It's obvious everything is moven overseas, but I dont know about you guys, I went with the Auburn Pro, I don't really want a diff. casing that is made in Japan for a quarter an hour!

• Sponsors (?)

99StanGT said:
I recently blew my rearend in my 99 GT. I was going to replace it with an Eaton differential, but the units were backordered for at least a month to a month and a half. I went to Reider Racing in Taylor, MI. The reason they are backordered is because the casings are made overseas. The units are made in Grand Rapids, MI. It's obvious everything is moven overseas, but I dont know about you guys, I went with the Auburn Pro, I don't really want a diff. casing that is made in Japan for a quarter an hour!

:doh:

I will remember that when the Auburn Pro falls apart on you because they have a habit of that. By the way how do you know for sure that every part of that Auburn is made in the USA? Acutally, your mustang was mostly made and put together in Mexico.

and beyond that Japan labor is more expensive than american labor, they outsource most of their labor as well now to "emerging" countries.

get the facts b4 you go insulting an entire country, its no wonder the world thinks we are arrogant.

and i only wish the quality at Ford was up to Honda standards.

I'd still rather have the Eaton. I don't need to buy an aftermarket differential and still need to worry about it blowing up.

What parts of the Mustang are assembled in Mexico?

Rick James said:
What he said. 75% of eveything is made in Japan/China.
It wouldn't be if you wouldn't buy it.

99StanGT.... :flag: ....I commend you on sticking to your principles and deciding not to buy the Eaton. It's about time these companies stop moving theer manufacturing jobs to foriegn countries and the only way to do that is to refuse to buy it if it is not made here. I have no problem with a company from China selling their stuff here but I take offense to US companies importing their wares and selling at huge profits. I've had to back off my original priciple of not buying any foreign goods because it has gotten so bad that a lot of items are hard to find still made here. I support the Latin American countries along with Canada but if it arrived here by boat then I don't want it.

I've gone on about this before, as some of you have taken me to task about it, but it's these attitudes of "so what" and "there is nothing I can do about it" that allow this to go on. Talk to anyone in Canada and they will tell you that alot of those jobs they lost to foriegn countries will never come back. When unemployment becomes rampant and no one has the money to buy the cheap crap we import from China, then it will be too late. We need to start now and quit listening to the people who say don't worry about it and save this country so our kids can have a decent life.

if you really want the jobs to stay here and have more stuff Made In The USA, then be willing to pay more for products and don't complain about it. Consumers like you and I have ultimately caused this. Products mae n japan are usually very good. Most of the things you use from day to day are not made in the USA. most of the computer parts you are using right now are made in anbother country. Products from Eaton are still made to their specs, no matter where.
BTW, I buy products made in the USA when possible.I do support , Buy American, but I will not sacrifice quality for it. :D

Almost eveything is cast overseas.

Many reasons for this. Primarily Labor cost & Environmental.

Don't you find it Hypocritial or just plain stupid that the same government that enforces a "Buy American Act" on goverenment projects is just happy as hell to let jobs go overseas???

This is a free market economy. The government would rather all jobs stay here. They do not have a choice. It is the businesses decesion. When governments control where and how manufacturing occurs, the world gets products like the Yugo. Most businesses put out good products. They produce products at a cost that we will pay. Buy American whenever you can. EAton makes good products, others do as well.

This is a pretty dumb thread. You think every part on your car is made in the USA? Yeah right. EVERY car made has SOME level of foreign content. Ford's biggest shock supplier is a Japanese company. In today's global economy, saying a car is American or Japanese doesn't mean as much as it used to.

GinoGT said:
Either that or the kids will have to work to become someone like a doctor or lawyer, therefore earning themselves an even better life. :shrug:

In their own words, my parents told me from the time I could stand upright that:

Assembly lines = teh lose

They knew that they were making great money, but the jobs wouldn't last forever even back in the late 70's. I know when my dad retired he was making about $21/hr. The new-hires working next to him were making $10/hr. He said the only time that he ever felt that what he did was fulfilling was when he had a break from the line work and was doing some customer service stuff in the early 90s. Other than that, he was so sick of working for GM by the time he retired that he's bought 4 new Fords since 2001.

So buy an Eaton diff and send your kids to school.

Slider said:
:rlaugh:

Maybe this should be their new advertising sloagan :p

PS
nickthegenius, what is with that avatar?

It was posted in a thread on another forum entitled "Funny Worksafe Pron Pics" or something to that effect where the pics were off of pron websites but no nudity in the particular pics. Nobody in that thread could explain her contorted face either, there is nobody else near her as the original pic is fairly large and she's just standing in front of a fireplace or something.

Japan doesnt buy a 1/3 of the amount of products we buy from them. Why should we support their country?

That is awesome you are trying to buy American. You just made my decision on differentials.

**** japan.