Electrical ecu

rad4lif

Mar 1, 2019
LA
i might of fried my ecu...my question is...is it better getting a new one or a used one somewhat less expensive?? n if i get one either or what should i look out for?

• Sponsors (?)

It's very common for the circuit board trace on pin 46 of the computer to get burned out. This is a dedicated ground for all sorts of sensors and if it gets damaged it will make the car do all sorts of crazy things. It's easy to check. Just pull the computer and looked for a burned trace on the circuit board.

New ECU's or used ones are extremely difficult to find.

Yup, and pretty much selling for the same price regardless of reman or used. Look to pay anywhere from $200-400+ for one depending on where you actually buy it from.

I'd almost speculate these might be selling for a real premium in 10 years as the supply continues to dwindle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Dan02gt is correct. Before you go and buy a new one, open your ECU and check for the burned trace. If it is burned, you'll have to figure out why it burned open before you install a new ECU or it will just fry the new one too. It could also be one of the three electrolytic capacitors on the other side of the board have gone bad. It's not a hard fix if you're handy with a soldering iron. The caps are cheap and you just have to run a small jumper around the burned trace. I've attached pictures of mine and circled the area that burns and where to solder in the jumper. The other picture shows the three capacitors that should be replaced.
caps.jpg
trace2.jpg