Edelbrock Performer RPM Pro-Flo EFI System for Small Block Ford ?

Scudly

Dec 9, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Was just looking around past post and these kits were mentioned. I am curious if anyone has installed one and whats it like on their 289. Whats the difference between this kit and alot of the conversions you guys talk about in the forums (Besides the big price differnece). They mention the fuel economy in the detail of the product everywhere I have seen it mentioned, anyone know whats thats at about by chance?

I may consider just saving up money for this kit, and rebuilding my 289 afterall. Screw selling my mustang and buying a rice rocket. =p

thoughts?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-3521

• Sponsors (?)

engine respone on these systems is incredible HP gains could be hard to figure out but as a general rule a carb car will make more wot horsepower but the efi set up will be more street friendly the efi setup also has a better bottom end more torque.

I asked about this unit just a few days ago. I was put in touch with someone who was one of the first people to install one of these. Here is what he told me:

The install is very straight forward, with the only problem I had was getting the electric Fuel pump low enough for gravity feed. I have replaced 2 fuel pumps, the 1st because I didn't have the pump low enough. 2nd is unknown cause. Another thing I rand into was the battery. If the battery runs low, the car will not start. I think it's a little more touchy than a carb'd unit. One very good thing is you can use the cheapest pump gas because the timing will let you tune around the "pinging" (unless you have a very high compression motor.
I am able to get about 350 HP at flywheel out of a 302/5.0L with E303 cam and Trickflow Heads. When tuned for economy I can get 20 MPG very consistently.
You basically have to tune on a dyno for both HP and Economy and save and write down the settings. It's very programable although you can be between settings as the RPM settings are in 1000's and vacuum is in 6inch invcrements.
With the right cam, High end heads and a high end carb, you can beat the HP for less than the proflo retail price. You can't touch the economy factor though. I still have it and like it.