Educate me about fuel systems please.

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
I am probably going to have to get a new fuel pump. The stocker will probably not cut it with 36lb injectors. So, I am trying to weigh my options.

Who makes a drop in style fuel pump for an 04 GT Fuel tank? I have heard I can run a walbro gss342 (255lph) in my gt tank with the returnless setup. I know that the aeromotive 340 lph stealth pump (11142) will fit as a direct replacement to a walbro 255 lph. So, other than drilling some holes in my basket, do you think I will run into any issues with anything else?

I am a little uneducated in fuel systems, and I am trying to learn as I go.

As much as I would love to run a return style setup, my budget will not accomodate that. So, I have to come up with something that will work, and still not break the bank. So, realistically, what can I do for under $200. I am currently running a boost-a-pump on stock fuel pump w/ kb 36 lb injectors. Cams are going in when they get here, and the tuner said that the injectors will work if i can get them enough fuel. What do you guys suggest?

• Sponsors (?)

:shrug: I've got 36# injectors and the OE pump is doing fine with a BAP.

I would look into a Cobra or Ford GT in-tank setup or a Focus SVT pump before looking at something like the '342 which, unless I'm mistaken, is not compatible with the returnless FPDM setup on later GTs.

usaf_branham, most companies will point you in the right direction. Call Summit Racing, RPM Outlet, or any of the other numerous companies. You can get a 255 LPH pump for a little over $100. I wouldn't go under a 255 LPH. That should be all you'll need for now. You can get a BAP later if you start making more hp than the 255 can handle.

While the pumps you mention will go into the stock hat they require a little grinding as well to make them fit.

If you want a drop in upgrade the single SVT Focus pump kit is 3S4Z-9H307-BC it includes the sender and runs about $250.00, I use this up to about 450-500hp and since you have the Boost-A-Pump you could squeeze a little more out. IF your planning more mods and lots of power then I see a return style system in your future ;)

You can find the pump only on ebay a lot cheaper, the real pump use to be black with a green top...been awhile since I bought one.

Well, after a TON of research, I have decided to drive over to summit racing and pick up an oem replacement motorcraft part for the Ford GT Supercar. It is actually less expensive than the SVT Focus Pump (and I think it flows more). I heard the Focus pump is 255lph and the GT pump is 310lph, although I am not 100% sure about that. The other thing I am not sure of, is if this pump is going to have any issues with my 20 amp boost-a-pump. I have heard the focus pump doesnt like the boost-a-pump. I hope the same doesnt go with the GT pump.

Im going to buy some submersible fuel hose and do a pprv delete while im at it. I also plan to drill holes in the front and bottom of the fuel basket.