• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

EFI running from a PC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 65ShelbyClone
  • Start date Start date Dec 31, 2005
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
First Prev 3 of 3
D

Daggar

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
3,902
5
0
Dec 27, 2006
#41
  • Dec 27, 2006
  • #41
Ok so...

What I got out of that was that the EEC will run EITHER the EEC tune OR whatever is loaded into the J3 slot on the back of the EEC but not both and not parts of each. Is that correct?
 

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
4,933
101
124
Seattle
Dec 27, 2006
#42
  • Dec 27, 2006
  • #42
Daggar said:
Ok so...

What I got out of that was that the EEC will run EITHER the EEC tune OR whatever is loaded into the J3 slot on the back of the EEC but not both and not parts of each. Is that correct?
Click to expand...
As I understand it... That is correct.



65ShelbyClone said:
The EEC J3 tuners don't do anything to the internal ECU memory because they cannot. They are ROM, or Read-Only-Memory; it cannot be erased or altered in this case. The new fuel/spark maps are on the chip in the J3 tuner. When the EEC detects something plugged into the J3 port, it only runs what is on the external chip.

.
Click to expand...
I don't think we disagree
Maybe I didn't phrase things properly?

So you are going to try and convert the SVO computer to run a single cylinder?
I thought you had decided on MS for that?
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Dec 28, 2006
#43
  • Dec 28, 2006
  • #43
Daggar said:
Ok so...

What I got out of that was that the EEC will run EITHER the EEC tune OR whatever is loaded into the J3 slot on the back of the EEC but not both and not parts of each. Is that correct?
Click to expand...

That's right.

vristang said:
I don't think we disagree
Maybe I didn't phrase things properly?

So you are going to try and convert the SVO computer to run a single cylinder?
I thought you had decided on MS for that?
Click to expand...

1. I wasn't disagreeing. You said the TwEECer is the only EEC tuner that doesn't use .bin files. I was just speculating on the how and why that is done.

2. I'm not going to use an EEC for anything but a Ford engine. I should have been more clear in saying that I was probably going to get a J3 tuner for my SVO and play around with tuning that. In lieu of endangering the rare and expensive SVO ecu, I will probably use the Merkur PF2 instead(that cost me $13).

I actually could alter the PF2 to work on the Briggs, but MegaSquirt is so much easier and I already have it hooked up.



EDIT: I almost forgot....

Video!
 
S

seijirou

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
2,417
4
48
DFW
Dec 28, 2006
#44
  • Dec 28, 2006
  • #44
This thread is awesome. I can't believe I missed it. Thanks for resurrecting
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Dec 28, 2006
#45
  • Dec 28, 2006
  • #45
I'm still waiting see you screaming around the yard, grass flying everywhere, from the world's first turbocharged lawnmower.

OR the big grin on your face after smoking the tires all around the gocart track on your turbocharged gocart.
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Dec 28, 2006
#46
  • Dec 28, 2006
  • #46
Unfortunately, neither of those is too likely to happen. This engine was destined to be a proving ground for my EFI/turbo idea. It will most likely die a horrible death under high boost, high rpm, and high power on a DIY dyno......being videotaped, of course.

I also plan to get a Briggs Vanguard v-twin and do the same thing minus the horrible death. I can at least get billet rods for those. They have pressurized oiling so turbo lubrication is simple and I could try to get power AND longetivity. How about taking a 22hp Vaguard and quadrupling the power on gasoline?
 
T

TheShagg

Member
Mar 30, 2002
67
0
6
Dec 29, 2006
#47
  • Dec 29, 2006
  • #47
Just get a megasquirt and be done with it. Period.
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Dec 29, 2006
#48
  • Dec 29, 2006
  • #48
TheShagg said:
Just get a megasquirt and be done with it. Period.
Click to expand...

Middle of page two:

65ShelbyClone said:
I ditched the Nissan ECU and just went with MegaSquirt(in case anyone hasn't seen my sig). LOTS easier...
Click to expand...
 

enyawix

Member
Dec 18, 2005
507
0
19
127.0.0.1
Dec 30, 2006
#49
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #49
Any one or ones willing to try this? I am willing to host the porject.
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Dec 30, 2006
#50
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #50
Try what?
 
G

GTOreturns

Well-Known Member
Oct 1, 2003
51
17
59
West Coast Best Coast
Dec 30, 2006
#51
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #51
jackchan said:
i often wondered if there would possibly be a way to put a home pc in an automobile. I mean, it's all converted to 12v anyways, after it leaves the power suppply.

instead of a lap top why not incorperate a moniter in the dash or in front of the dash and run all the power cables etc to the trunk area or back seat area if the back seat were eliminated .......that way you could build a speaker enclosure, to mount the "tower" in.
Since some companys have lap top data logging anyways, I dont see why a cheap CPU etc couldnt be used in this application and it be basically onboard live dianostics?
keep this thead going.......this is very interesting!
Jack
Click to expand...

Just a thought on your idea. Why not incorperate wireless?
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Dec 31, 2006
#52
  • Dec 31, 2006
  • #52
I know there is a Blue Tooth addition for MegaSquirt, but it has limited range.

Do you mean use wireless inside the car, or to send data to a stationary computer?
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
First Prev 3 of 3
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Fuel ‘88 GT Runs Rich Cold — Fixes Itself When I Unplug Sensors (ECT, MAF, O2, etc.)
  • Sufarry
  • Nov 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
993
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 9, 2025
Mustang5L5
Talk Me Into Using Megasquirt?
  • vristang
  • Feb 16, 2018
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
7
Views
4K
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 27, 2019
a91what
97 Cobra Engine Will Start But Soon Shuts Off
  • tarponboy
  • Nov 2, 2017
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
14
Views
6K
SVT Tech Forum May 12, 2020
DualXhst289
D
No Spark With Spout Out And Fuel Pump Running Constantly
  • Christian Cornwell
  • Jul 21, 2017
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
13
Views
4K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 23, 2017
jrichker
5.0 runs horrible
  • ishootstuff
  • Apr 15, 2013
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
3K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 18, 2013
Mr67Stang
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?