• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

EGR question

  • Thread starter Thread starter mustangdaren
  • Start date Start date Dec 20, 2003

mustangdaren

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
605
0
0
Hildebran, North Carolina
Dec 20, 2003
#1
  • Dec 20, 2003
  • #1
I was wondering if any one has a diagram of how the egr system works. I was currious how the gasses go from the ports in the heads, through the intake and throttle body spacer. Also how the gasses go from the piping on the rear of the heads, smog pump, h-pipe air tube, ect. I am wanting to eliminate my egr spacer. I have no smog pump and the tubes coming off the back of the heads are already capped off.
 

matty50racer

Founding Member
Nov 8, 2002
242
0
16
Pennsylvania
Dec 20, 2003
#2
  • Dec 20, 2003
  • #2
mustangdaren said:
I was wondering if any one has a diagram of how the egr system works. I was currious how the gasses go from the ports in the heads, through the intake and throttle body spacer. Also how the gasses go from the piping on the rear of the heads, smog pump, h-pipe air tube, ect. I am wanting to eliminate my egr spacer. I have no smog pump and the tubes coming off the back of the heads are already capped off.
Click to expand...

I used a fel-pro 1262 intake gaskets that blok off the egr ports going to the intake. Then you need to get a spacer to hold the throttle linkage since it is bolted onto the EGR sacer now if you want to eliminate the spacer itself.
 

Michael Yount

Mustang Master
Apr 10, 2002
9,039
6
79
Charlotte, NC
Dec 21, 2003
#3
  • Dec 21, 2003
  • #3
Accufab sells a spacer 3/8" thick to replace the egr spacer - and it has the threaded ears for the cable bracket. It will block off the egr passages on the upper manifold. You could tap the hole in the center of the upper (in the middle of the upper/lower interface) and put a threaded plug in it to block the exhaust gas from entering the upper. I think that would be easier than pulling the lower to change the gaskets - but blocking it off at the head is probably the best solution.

If you remove the egr spacer and go to a thinner replacement spacer to hold your throttle cable, it moves the bracket much closer to the upper intake, and on mine, this made it interfere with the passenger side valve cover. I also had to put a vertical spacer between the upper and lower to raise that up so it would clear the valve cover.

The air pump system pumps air into the heads and the cats - it's a separate system from the egr system. Both tie into the ecu and may cause check engine lights when you unplug them. Also, the ecu allows for the exhaust gas recirculation in the timing and fuel mixture choices it makes. If you remove the egr without turning off the egr function in the computer (takes a chip) some people experience part throttle detonation issues.
 

mustangdaren

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
605
0
0
Hildebran, North Carolina
Dec 21, 2003
#4
  • Dec 21, 2003
  • #4
I had heard of people rigging the sensor to think it was closed after removing everything but I was going to have it turned off when I get my chip burned. I will probably just leave it on until I get rid of my gt40s and put some AFR's on the car. Just trying to get rid of more useless stuff on the motor to make it easier to work on and cleaner looking.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Fox Removing smog only questions
  • 91GTstroked
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
246
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
91GTstroked
9
Engine Donor '00 Mountaineer meet '91 Fox
  • 91firecracker
  • May 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
41
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 28, 2026
91firecracker
9
Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
174
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
Engine Hiccup at full throttle
  • keel
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
31
Views
933
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
keel
S
Fuel ‘88 GT Runs Rich Cold — Fixes Itself When I Unplug Sensors (ECT, MAF, O2, etc.)
  • Sufarry
  • Nov 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 9, 2025
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?