Eleanor - Project

Marson

Jul 20, 2010
Hey guys, how is it going?

I live in Brazil, and I'm building an 1967 Fastback Mustang (Eleanor).
I've already bought the fiberglass eleanor body kit.

I'm now thinking about the engine.
I'll be in the US by november, so I will buy most of the engine parts in US.

I bought this Mustang without engine and trans.

So, the 302ci Block, I will buy in Brazil, I know a guy that import blocks (not aftermarket) from US.

I'm thinking to buy the following parts for the engine:

Airflow Research 1452 - AFR 205cc SBF Outlaw Race Heads
( Airflow Research 1452 - AFR 205cc SBF Outlaw Race Heads - Overview - SummitRacing.com )

Probe Industries PRO STREET Engine Kit - Ford 347 Dome Top +9.0cc
( 10480-PS-F347 - Ford 347 Dome Top +9.0cc Pro Street Engine Kit )

Crane Cams 449761 - Crane PowerMax Camshafts (not sure of it)
( Crane Cams 449761 - Crane PowerMax Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com )

Nitrous Oxide system (100 - 200hp shot, I didn't decide which brand I will choose)

Parts that I didn't decided yet (I appreciate if you guys help me on these ones):

Carburetor / Fuel delivery system
Ignition System

Application of the project:
Street (in working days) and drag race (in weekends) hehehehe

Horsepower that i want to reach something between 300-500hp (without nitrous).

Feel free to give your opnion about it!

PS:

In Brazil we can use Ethanol (is cheaper than gas, and offer more hp) in our vehicles, 98% of the gas stations offer Ethanol, but using Ethanol I will have to chose an specific kind of carburetor, and probably another kind of piston (Ethanol has a different compression ratio).

Which kind of gas do you guys think that I should use?

Many thanks, and best regards!

Marson

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it does.

Here every car that can handle 2 or more combustibles (Gas , Ethanol, or even Methane/Ethane) when it runs in Ethanol it have up to 4+ hp than when it runs in Gas or Methane/Ethane. (even if you run in high octane gas, Eth offers you more power).

By the way;
I thought that this forum is for Mustang subjects... not to discuss about Petrobras/Exxon/British Petroleum or any kind of petroleum issues.

Yes it does.

Here every car that can handle 2 or more combustibles (Gas , Ethanol, or even Methane/Ethane) when it runs in Ethanol it have up to 4+ hp than when it runs in Gas or Methane/Ethane. (even if you run in high octane gas, Eth offers you more power).

By the way;
I thought that this forum is for Mustang subjects... not to discuss about Petrobras/Exxon/British Petroleum or any kind of petroleum issues.

Only if it's tuned for it. Running it in a car that's tuned for gasoline, thats not the case. Ethanol has less BTU content than gasoline. Susequently you get fewer miles per gallon with it than ytou do with gasoline only.

If he's going to run it all the time, I'd guess he's going to be tuned for it. It does have less btu's but still makes more substantially more power in forms other than N/A. It has a higher octane rating and burns cooler, allowing more timing. A benefit for cars needing to pull timing to run. Ans even better yet with blo thru carbs. It's not all about btu's. Not many things better than E85.

Less BTU per gallon, but you use more, that and the gain of octane meaning more timing can be run. Really depends on the motor combination, some will gain some will not. Since he is using domed pistons on a 347 I'd say regular gasoline is pretty much out of the picture anyways. lol

Stock block with that much heads/compression and add nitrous is going to be a two piece block in no time IMO.

Although my heart sinks to know that yet another '67-68 fastback will be turned into yet another unoriginal Gone in Sixty remake clone, I will try to help and won't judge on matters of personal taste beyond here.

Yeah, a stock 302 block is not going to be adequate with the parts list for this build. If you're going to use a production block, I would recommend either finding a Mexican 302 block or a 351W. 500hp NA + 200hp of nitrous is still going to be risky on either one. I suggest either lowering your power goals or raising your engine budget by about US$2500.