Electric fuel pump in-tank-conversion for carburator

extra_stout

5 Year Member
Aug 27, 2018
Germany
The electric fuel pump I installed is noisy. It run at some point try and it took a while till I realizied that it is the empty fuel tank because the old gauge was stuck at 1/3 full. Old gauge is removed and a new old working gauge is installed. But the noise is annoying. I have a spare pump here, which could produce less noise, but I'm thinking of putting the fuel pump into the tank to make it even better.
My inspiration comes from this setup:
12-305_0118353.jpg

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...uel_pumps/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-305

This unit will not work, because I still use carburetor and it is high pressure EFI application and for 1gen Mustang tanks.
The fuel pump looks very similar to what I'm using: no-name version of Pierburg 7.21440.51.0
amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F418RPgkAZRL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

I also saw that in the VW Golf 1 there was a in-tank pump that was used for carburator: 001.470.31.94 (it comes with a pick up screen)
1676541137533.jpeg

So I have some open points, where you could help me with, if you have ideas:
- wiring(isolation) needs to be special for fuel/ethanol, but how to I get it outside of the tank? I have a fuel return, which I do not use, can I feed the wire trough and fill it up with RTV silicone? Better solutions available?
- is there anything to consider regarding wiring? ground and positive wire have contact to the fuel, is there anything special to consider?

• Sponsors (?)

You're asking how to run wiring through your exisiting pickup to get to the fuel pump? I'm not sure how one would go about that honestly. Maybe there is some kind of bulkhead connector that could be used where you could seal the housing vs trying to figure out how to seal a pair or wires going through a hole. I'm thinking something along the lines of this:

71038812.jpg

I'm not sure if there's anything available that's small enough to incorporate it into the pick up assembly, but you could run extra wire in the tank and mount something like this separately next to the pickup. Of course that would probably necessitate the use of another connector inside the tank to connect the pump to this setup so you could remove/replace the pump as needed.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think that anything like that would work as long as you do enough research to assure all of the components are compatible with fuel.

Another option, although more costly and possibly more time intensive, would be replacing the fuel tank with another that is more compatible with electric pumps. In my case, I have a later model Fox fuel tank, I can very easily install an electric pump, all I'd be concerned with would be running power to the location and replacing the appropriate fuel lines.

Reactions: 1 user