Electric Seat wont go back

nv97Cobra

Apr 3, 2009
Hey guys, nice forum!

Own a 97 Cobra, any ideas why my drivers seat moves up/down and forwards but will no go back? The lever works up/down and to the right, but doesnt move the seat back upon pushing lever to the left. I could understand if it didnt work in either direction...but just one way has me cornfused a bit! Thx

• Sponsors (?)

if the switch isnt making contact to tell the 'reverse' circuit to move the seat back then nothing will happen

im assuming this is how it works being that this is the simplest implementation..i think. i left my service cd at home (im 3 hrs away). if i had it id post up a wiring diagram for you

check to see if an object fell inside the track once I had the same problem different car but woudnt go back a plactic fork fell was crushed but a small part stayed in where the gear was its worth a good look

I have the same problem in my 96. I found that it is some sort of polarity issue.

I am the only one that drives the car so the seat has no need to move, unless I need to remove the seat. So here is how I get it to move.

I unhook the connector under the seat and get myself two wires with alligator clips on each end.
I then hook a wire to each terminal on the connector to the seat then the other two to the terminals of a lantern battery.
Dependent upon the polarity it will only move forward and up, or it will only move back and down.
If it's not going the direction you want swap the wires on the terminals of the battery and it will work the opposite direction.

Kind of a round about way to do it, but it's the only way I have found to remedy the problem. As I stated it's really no big deal for me as the seat never moves.
View attachment 263520